Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Chasing Wires on '93 FHTP

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 AM
TXWarthog
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Chasing Wires on '93 FHTP

Working on a 1993 Police Electra Glide. Before receiving this bike, a stupid dog tore out a small section of wiring harness on the right side of the bike, just behind the engine. It ran prior to the incident. Now, when attempting to start, only the starter relay engages (clicks). The previous repair (which is crappy and needs to be done correctly) reconnected two low amp red wires which are connected to the same terminal on the back (right) side of starter and a yellow wire that connected to the oil pressure sending unit. The last wire remains a mystery: a white wire with a thin red line. Anyone have an idea as to where that white/red wire leads? I can't find a good wiring schematic. Thanks.

Last edited by TXWarthog; 05-05-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:06 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced

BTT. I can't find a wiring diagram for the Police model. The standard (civilian) versions do not list a white/red wire. Does anyone have an idea as to where it leads? My experience would typically lead me to either an ignition or starter source (based on the color), but I'm not seeing the other end of the wire anywhere. Anybody know about that white/red wire?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
Thanks to another member for help with finding a police wiring diagram. I was able to view a clear wiring diagram. I realized the wiring diagrams are WRONG! The stupid white wire with red line SHOULD be indicated as W/R (main color first). In the diagrams, the list it as R/W (which would be a red wire with a white line). The stupid wire in question goes to the rear brake switch. My father-in-law connected the other wire (2 red wires to one terminal) for the rear brake switch to the starter solenoid. Just missing one wire from the starter SPST relay to the solenoid. Got the new connector on order, and will wire it up soon!

Last edited by TXWarthog; 05-12-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Update/Clarification
Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM
TXWarthog
Advanced

I fixed the wiring a few weeks ago. I was able to fire the bike up with assistance from starter fluid. It'll fire up fast if I use starter fluid, and stay running if I don't let off the throttle... I just got in all the parts needed for the carb rebuild and hopefully will have it going again in a week or two.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

A PO probably ripped off all the redundant Police equipment wiring - badly by the look of it. If it is any consolation I have owned my 1990 FLHS from new. It is an International spec and there are no factory wiring diagrams for it. Around the time our bikes were built it seems the MoCo hand-built the harnesses and were, shall we say, flexible in the spec they built to. Fortunately I have access to a friend who can 'read' wiring and trace it for fault finding etc.

Your bike is an Evo and I recommend you call into the dedicated Evo section, to meet up with fellow owners.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:54 AM
TXWarthog
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I have posted this in the Evo section. Being that this is electrical, I also posted it here. No, the PO didn't tear it up. It was running until my father-in-law parked it on the covered backyard patio. Shortly thereafter, his stupid dog chased away a rat, but in doing so, tore out the wiring and destroyed the two-up seat. (Good she chased away a rat, bad she tore it all up). And yes, I got it running again. I found the starter solenoid connector on ebay at a great price. Fixed up all the wiring to better than factory and have it running. Next task is to pull the carb and clean it so as I suspect the idle circuit is plugged up (that's in another post - under the EVO forum). The guys/gals have been helpful in the little nuances related to this year/model.

BTW, while searching for wiring diagrams, I have seen an international version of the wiring diagram that appeared to be factory. I don't remember if it was exactly 1990, but I think it could potentially be helpful. If I see it again, I'll post a link here.

On other forums (for other bikes I've owned), I've seen owners who have made color wiring diagrams based on their bike for the forum community. Those have been extremely helpful too on some of those rare bikes that wiring diagrams are harder to find than Bigfoot riding bareback on a unicorn.

Last edited by TXWarthog; 06-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

H-D Service Information Portal has been down for maintenance most of the day but they do have the wiring diagrams for your police model. When it's back up, try entering your VIN and you should be able to get the wiring diagram.