Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Running Light Issue 2014 Slim

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017 | 07:09 AM
Axis39
|
Road Captain
Default Running Light Issue 2014 Slim

So, last year, I goofed when installing non CANBUS compatible auxilliary lights. I ended up rubbing a wire and getting a short...

I first tried plugging into the fender tip light jack under the tank and it was giving me errors. That's when I realized my bulbs were not the proper ones. I eventually bought the accessory plug bit and got the lights working perfectly.

But, I have an issue with my running lights now... Most of the time, when I turn the bike on, the running lights light up properly. Some times when I start the bike, and it starts quickly, the lights stay lit and work perfectly. Some times, especially if the bike doesn't fire right up, say a slight hiccup when starting, and the running lights dim, they will shut off and not come back on. When this happens, I also lose the fuel level (and of course the distance to empty bit).

The error code I get is running lights shorted low.

I have lifted the tank several times now and chased all of the wires. There was one that had a wear on the insulation, I wrapped it really good with electrical tape and made sure nothing else was rubbing or worn.

So, I have a few questions... The first of which is could the issue be my fuel level sending unit? How could I check.

The second question needs a little more back story... I bought a new battery (unfortunately, I bought the inexpensive AGM, 310 CCA. I was particularly poor that day). I have been relatively convinced that the battery that was in it before, also an AGM, was probably too low powered... Could 310 CCA not be enough?

The last question for now... If it's not the running light bulbs, or the wiring, or the fuel sending unit... I am guessing it must be the Body Control Module. Is this a dealer only kinda thing? Like does it take any programming to get it hooked up to my bike? (Yes, I have a service manual and am going to go read about the body control module now... Oh, and the fule level sending unit, too. But, just asking to see if anyone has had any experience replacing one).

Thanks guys for any input.

Old 04-20-2017 | 02:39 PM
Axis39
|
Road Captain

So, a little more data - I replaced my battery with the crappy one from Batteries+.
Won't do that again, but for now....

When I first popped the battery in, the running lights lit up, until i started the bike and they died when the power from the battery was taxed to start the bike.

Not much difference at this point. I was thinking I was literally gonna have to pull the bike apart once again and chase down every single wire.

But, as I've ridden the bike a bit, I seem to be charging the battery up some. As it charges up, it handles the starting better. As it handles the starting better, it keeps the running lights on after starting.

The other day, as I pulled into the driveway, my dog was running the other way... So, I hopped off the bike, hopped in the pickup and chased off after her. I caught her, got her back to the house, went inside... and a couple hours later realize I've left the bike on the whole time. Next morning I went to start her and sure as can be the running lights go off as it starts and don't come back on. But, i ride for half an hour and the next start, the lights come on and stay on.

So, I guess the question is, will more CCA keep the lights on more consistently?