Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Additional Accessory Connection.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017 | 11:25 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Additional Accessory Connection.

2012 Limited.

I'm already using the Accessory Switch and connection under the seat for some Fog Lights.

I need another place to tap into the accessory circuit to run some cooling fans so they only have power when the bike is running.

Any suggestions on best spot/circuit to tap into?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2017 | 08:59 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley has an adapter to plug into the acce. wire under the seat that has a plug that you plug into your acce wire and it splits off into 2 seperate plugs. That what you need

Old 03-02-2017 | 08:06 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by clap
Harley has an adapter to plug into the acce. wire under the seat that has a plug that you plug into your acce wire and it splits off into 2 seperate plugs. That what you need

Thanks, but that won't help.

I'm already using the connector under the seat for Fog Lights.

If I used the splitter pigtail, both things would be controlled by the same switch. I want the fans to have power whenever the bike is running independent of a switch.

Old 03-02-2017 | 08:28 AM
Avenger61
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what your trying to do, but wouldn't you want to put the cooling fans on a switch too? I'm thinking it likely wouldn't be needed on cooler days. If so, then you might still be able to use the splitter pigtail mentioned earlier or run one accessory straight to the battery. Just a thought.

Last edited by Avenger61; 03-02-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2017 | 08:59 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Avenger61
I'm not sure I understand what your trying to do, but wouldn't you want to put the cooling fans on a switch too? I'm thinking it likely wouldn't be needed on cooler days. If so, then you might still be able to use the splitter pigtail mentioned earlier or run one accessory straight to the battery. Just a thought.

Going with some Love Jugs Fans and they recommend that the fans run whenever the bike is running. There actually are switches on the fans in case I ever want to turn them off, but I plan on just letting them run whenever the bike is running.

The splitter pigtail allows you to run two things off the switched accessory circuit, but then the same switch controls both things. That doesn't work for me, whenever I didn't have the Fog Lights on, the fans would have no power.

I could go straight to the battery, but I just don't want to have to switch them off and on all the time.

Tapping into an accessory circuit will accomplish what I want, just have to figure out the best circuit to tap into.

Old 03-04-2017 | 06:11 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I think you are currently using the P & A connector that is positioned under the seat as you've stated.

You should be able to splice into any orange/white tracer wire on the bike as this is your accessory power wire.
You should also be able to splice into the orange/red wire that comes from the connector you are already using under the seat as this part of the wiring is not controlled by the accessory switch and will always have accessory power coming from the P & A fuse. It is only after the accessory switch up on your dash that the switch controls the power on this wire.
I've made that sound more complicated than it is but it's only after the switch that the actual accessory switch on the dash controls power hence its ability to turn the fog lights on and off. Therefore, any wiring going upto the switch from your connector under the seat will still have switched ignition accessory power at all times regardless of the accessory switch position or what it is controlling.

The following 2 users liked this post by j_bee:
silveradoman2 (03-04-2017), Talldog (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017 | 06:26 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Harley sells a very simple Namz style harness that plugs in behind the capped off connector behind the left side cover, It has 2 switched and 2 unswitched wires to tap into. It's about $25

Old 03-04-2017 | 06:57 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Watching to see what others may have to offer.

I was lucky and found a used Wards Fan. Looking at different ideas on the install.
Debating with or with out the thermal switch installed.

If with out, do I or should I have it switched to be on or off?

Any thoughts are appreciated

Old 03-05-2017 | 06:56 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by j_bee
I think you are currently using the P & A connector that is positioned under the seat as you've stated.

You should be able to splice into any orange/white tracer wire on the bike as this is your accessory power wire.
You should also be able to splice into the orange/red wire that comes from the connector you are already using under the seat as this part of the wiring is not controlled by the accessory switch and will always have accessory power coming from the P & A fuse. It is only after the accessory switch up on your dash that the switch controls the power on this wire.
I've made that sound more complicated than it is but it's only after the switch that the actual accessory switch on the dash controls power hence its ability to turn the fog lights on and off. Therefore, any wiring going upto the switch from your connector under the seat will still have switched ignition accessory power at all times regardless of the accessory switch position or what it is controlling.

Thanks for the answer! I talked to one of the Techs at my local dealer yesterday and he basically said the same thing about the Orange/White wire. Just have to figure out which one I want to tap into.

Originally Posted by checkers
Harley sells a very simple Namz style harness that plugs in behind the capped off connector behind the left side cover, It has 2 switched and 2 unswitched wires to tap into. It's about $25

This will only work for 14' up bikes, I have a 2012.

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
Watching to see what others may have to offer.

I was lucky and found a used Wards Fan. Looking at different ideas on the install.
Debating with or with out the thermal switch installed.

If with out, do I or should I have it switched to be on or off?

Any thoughts are appreciated

I'm going to have the fans run whenever the bike is running via the accessory circuit. There is a switch on the fans in case I ever need to shut them off for some reason.

My thinking on the Thermal switch is this. I'm not knocking it, I know that's what Wards Fans recommends for their system, but I used to have some Wards Fans, and I just hated walking away from the bike while the fans were still running. It never ran my battery down or caused any problems, but I just never fully trusted it. With the Love Jugs Fans running whenever the bike is running, the Heads shouldn't get as hot to begin with, so I don't really see a need to have them continue to cool off the Heads after you shut off the bike. Just have to figure out which Accessory circuit I want to tap into.

The following users liked this post:
silveradoman2 (03-05-2017)
Old 03-13-2017 | 08:05 AM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

For anyone looking to do the same thing, I got this figured out.

Just use these sweet little Pigtail Fuse Holders

Amazon Amazon

Allows you to tap into the accessory circuit with a separate fuse and no cutting/splicing.