Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Fried TSSM locked me out

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:00 AM
Jeffrey Long
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried TSSM locked me out

I've been reading all kinds of forums from guys with similar issues. It took me awhile to figure out what I believe happened. It all started with my voltage regulator going bad and putting out more voltage than it supposed to. I first noticed it when my lights had become brighter than normal and my speedometer quit working once I got past 5mph. I checked the output on the regulator and sure enough it was putting out about 18v and even more while I was riding and the RPMs were high. This had happened before, so I knew I had to replace the regulator...., but I tend to be a procrastinator and sometimes I end up paying for it, such as in this case. Anyways, I had a new flooring job starting in an area about 30mins by freeway from where I live. On my way to the job that morning, I had just about reached the freeway cutoff when the bike coughed, sputtered, farted and POPPED pretty loud and then DIED! COMPLETELY! NO SIGN OF LIFE AT ALL! So I'm checking all the obvious things first. Batt voltage, fuses, main breaker, lights, switches, blah blah blah. NOTHING AT ALL! Smelled the tell tale sign of fried electrical circuits somewhere under the seat but it wasn't fuses, finally narrowed it down to the TSSM. Finally determined that it wasn't gonna be a quick fix so it's time to get off the side of the freeway. Anyways, got it home and started trouble shooting. So alot of head scratching and frustration for the next couple months and it finally dawned on me what I believe had happened. The over charging from the regulator for that long at high RPM's had made its way past the fuse and blew my security chip on the circuit board of my TSSM and locked me out!! And since I lost both faubs then I cannot get in. Even if I did have them I don't believe I could get in because the little chip with all the info is what blew out. So now I'm trying to locate an inexpensive one on ebay (w/the faubs)and then I guess I gotta tow it down to the dealer so they can marry the new module with the bike. What is like to know is if I can do this myself, because I cannot afford all of this **** and I've been riding my bicycle for almost 3 months now while all these ******** are flying by me on their running Harleys and showing off! I swear I can hear them saying, hey Jeff check this out, my bikes running! How's yours? Anyways, I'd love to hear from someone who knows what theyre talking about. I do all my own work on the bike. I am capible. Believe it or not I'm a licensed FAA Aircraft mech. So give me the step by step and I can do it. So let's see who REALLY knows their ****! Thank you in advance

Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Hi Jeff and welcome to the Forum.

Without knowing your year or Model I'll go out on a limb and say there are procedures to "marry" a TSSM to a bike a quick Google search found this:
http://www.harley-performance.com/su...s/password.pdf

Fobs will need a trip to the Dealer to program.

Harley has Service and Electrical Diagnostic Manuals that provide detailed troubleshooting and repair methods.
Good Luck
Bill

The following users liked this post:
Jeffrey Long (02-27-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Too much for these old eyes to read.

Paragraphs please.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,904 Likes on 19,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

Paragraphs please.
Yep ... Paragraphs help.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,904 Likes on 19,365 Posts

OP ... here's a read that may help you.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ml#post7910911

Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Long
I've been riding my bicycle for almost 3 months now while all these ******** are flying by me on their running Harleys and showing off! I swear I can hear them saying, hey Jeff check this out, my bikes running! How's yours?
All the ******** ride straight to heart attack and stroke while you extended your life by a few years!

Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 AM
Jeffrey Long
3rd Gear

thank you! yeah, you could be right. I always feel good riding my bicycle, but I miss my Harley! I was just joking about the ********. they're not ********, that's just how I'm feeling at the time

Last edited by Jeffrey Long; 02-27-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 AM
Jeffrey Long
3rd Gear

thank you very much. this should help me out

Old 02-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Jeffrey Long
3rd Gear

sorry about that! thank you

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC