Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2008 FXDWG 3-Phase Charging System Voltages

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017 | 06:27 PM
kevindressel
|
Stage II
Default 2008 FXDWG 3-Phase Charging System Voltages

Hey guys....

I know this sort of topic has come up before (likely numerous times), but I'm so dang gun-shy since getting stranded on the side of the highway, I'm going to ask again.

Last September, I as I was riding to work in the morning, I got about a half mile from the parking lot when the bike died. I thought I accidentally hit the kill switch, and just restarted it (bike was still rolling along at this point) and continued on my way.

After work, I hopped on the bike, got about three miles when the bike started acting erratically. The speedometer spiked to the right, then to the left, then back to the actual speed. I was already on the highway at that point, so I opted to keep moving in hopes of making it home. Anyway, it did the same thing another 5 - 6 times before dying completely, at which point I had no choice but to roll to a stop on the side of the highway.

I got that bike back home and immediately put it on the charger. After letting it charge for a while, I checked the battery voltage again only to find it was completely dead (was not taking a charge). This battery was only a year old or so, so I was a little peeved to say the least. I got a new battery and fired the bike up. Once running, I checked the voltage at the battery and found it was up around 18 volts - obviously way to high. So, after installing a brand new regulator, I checked the voltage again only to find it was still reading around 18 volts at the battery. I then checked the voltages coming from the stator, which read upwards of 30 volts at idle. I haven't been on the bike since.

What is the most likely source of failure here? The battery was relatively new (prior to being toasted by the charging system, of course), and I tried two different voltage regulators. Am I left with the stator being the problem? Is 30 volts at idle unheard of under normal conditions? I'm happy to fix this whatever is wrong, but I'd rather not chase my tail. I'm trying to avoid towing the bike to a shop, but I may have no choice.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 01-27-2017 | 08:15 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Kevin, welcome to the Forum.
Check your Visitor messages, I sent you something that should help.
Good luck
Bill

Old 01-27-2017 | 10:31 PM
kevindressel
|
Stage II

Thanks Bill....I'll check it out. Hopefully the info I need is in there!

Cheers!
Kevin