Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Upgraded Turn signals to LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Clintd
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgraded Turn signals to LED's

I've slowly been adding and upgrading lighting on my 2014 FLD and today I had an interesting problem. For 2014 bikes the BCM can learn the resistance of LED bulbs and you won't have a hyper flash problem. I installed all the LED's and the lights flashed normal but the dash indicators hyper flashed. I checked the codes and it had 4 codes for all 4 lights, so I let the hazards flash about 16 times and I still had the same problem, but I rechecked the codes and only the codes for the front lights came back. The front lights I used were a different style so for the hell of it I checked the resistance and found the front bulbs had a higher value then the rear. What I ended up doing was digging through my wiring drawer, grabbed a couple of 175-OHM resisters and soldering them parallel to the front signal bulbs. I did the hazard relearn procedure and all is well!

Here is a side by side comparison of the original 1157 incandescent bulb and the new LED.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:20 AM
HDEXPRESS
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work! The last photo doesn’t show up. I am curious to see the comparison shot.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:48 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 425 Likes on 258 Posts

Very good soldering job! Great solution to the loading issue with a nice home-solution.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Clintd
Advanced

Originally Posted by HDEXPRESS
Nice work! The last photo doesn’t show up. I am curious to see the comparison shot.
unfortunately the last image was hosted on photobucket and we all know the tragic ending to that story, but tomorrow during lunch I'll dig through my photo's and see if I can find the original.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Clintd
Advanced

Originally Posted by OkieBill
Very good soldering job! Great solution to the loading issue with a nice home-solution.
Thank you, believe it or not my great grandfather taught me how to solder and basic electrical circuits when I was 5-6 years old.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Clintd
Advanced

Originally Posted by HDEXPRESS
here is the side by side video.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NtFBpvWl9RY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (10-23-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Looks like a well implemented solution, but......

From the description and pix it looks like what you did was put two 190 ohm (from the color bands, they look like 190 not 175) resistors in series and then put that pair in parallel with the light.

If that's the case, then you have: P=((14.3*14.3)/380)/2=.27 watts. Assumptions: system voltage = 14.3 with alternator running, turn signal duty cycle = 50%.

Those look like 1/4 watt resistors. Running them at full rated power in an enclosed space and wrapped with heat shrink tubing means they are likely to fail at some point, maybe next summer. Not a catastrophe, of course, but if the signals start to blink rapidly again, that could be the problem.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Clintd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buster217
Looks like a well implemented solution, but......

From the description and pix it looks like what you did was put two 190 ohm (from the color bands, they look like 190 not 175) resistors in series and then put that pair in parallel with the light.

If that's the case, then you have: P=((14.3*14.3)/380)/2=.27 watts. Assumptions: system voltage = 14.3 with alternator running, turn signal duty cycle = 50%.

Those look like 1/4 watt resistors. Running them at full rated power in an enclosed space and wrapped with heat shrink tubing means they are likely to fail at some point, maybe next summer. Not a catastrophe, of course, but if the signals start to blink rapidly again, that could be the problem.
It's a 180 ohm resister per the color bands in parallel with the lighting circuit, I think at the time I just checked it on my meter and it came out to 175. They do get warm but not overly hot and worked fine for 7,000 miles before I traded the bike in. I was in a jam and that is what I came up with.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Didn't realize your OP was from 2 years ago.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Clintd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buster217
Didn't realize your OP was from 2 years ago.
On a positive note, at least I was still around to answer it! There's a lot of zombie threads out there.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Turn signals to LED's