Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Issue with head light and brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Machine213
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with head light and brake light?

I replaced a broken turn indicator on my 03 night train. The turn indicators all work fine after, but the high beam light on the dash stays on no matter the position of the control switch, and the head light will not light up at all, high or low beam. The brake light is also having problems, the tail light is on normally, and pulling the hand brake causes the brake light to engage, but when I push on the foot brake it will not light up. All I touched was the single wire for the right turn signal, I didn't get near the rest of it. Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Machine213
I replaced a broken turn indicator on my 03 night train. The turn indicators all work fine after, but the high beam light on the dash stays on no matter the position of the control switch, and the head light will not light up at all, high or low beam. The brake light is also having problems, the tail light is on normally, and pulling the hand brake causes the brake light to engage, but when I push on the foot brake it will not light up. All I touched was the single wire for the right turn signal, I didn't get near the rest of it. Any suggestions?
How did you fix it?
Are you talking about the indicator light on the dash?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Machine213
4th Gear

I replaced one of the Drag Specialty micro lights, the housing had cracked. It is a signal wire setup, I connected to the wire that the previous one was using. The turn signals and the dash lights both work, but the high beam light on the dash stays on, with no head light or foot pedal brake light. All of the fuses look okay, bike starts no problem, all dash lights and back light displays function, I just don't have a working head light or rear brake light.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

What color wire did you hook it to, and how did you ground it?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Machine213
4th Gear

http://img0027.psstatic.com/13261461...hts-chrome.jpg

That link shows a similar light, it's just the single black wire and the nut that hold the light in place grounds it. It's the same as the one that came on the bike, I've only had it for a couple months, but all I did was remove the old light and tie the new light wire into the existing wire coming from the bike and reapplied the heat shrink.