Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

No Spark!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Lovellr653
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark!

Hey all,

Had my 2004 Sportster 1200 Custom covered up for the past week. Went to start it today and it wouldn't turn over. I made sure the bike had fuel (ethanol free premium only), Battery is new and had plenty of juice. The bike sounded like it normally would when starting just with out the whole combustion part. I checked the carburetor to make sure I was getting fuel and air which I was (I had just cleaned and changed gaskets in the carb 3 weeks ago) and it was running great when I last parked it.

Next I checked the plugs, which I had changed the same time as I cleaned the carb. They look like they may have been running a touch on the rich side... I cleaned them up and they looked good as new. I checked for a spark and I got no spark from either plug.I traced to plug wires to the coil and everything was snug. I also check all the fuses under the oil tank cover, all were still in good shape.

At this point I had attempted to start the bike several times and the battery became drained and then I got the dreaded click,click,click due to a dead battery.

Also, maybe unrelated, over the past month my Neutral indicator light has become very dim and eventually became non existent.

I currently have the battery on a charge and picked up a voltmeter to test what I can easily reach (HD really packed all the guts in tight under the tank). At this point I am looking for any input on what may be the cause of this problem. Any help and/or tips is greatly appreciated. I'd hate to bring it into a shop and pay some exorbitant amount of money to have them fix something that may be minor.

Thanks