Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Headlight goes off when highway lights turned on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 AM
rjwin
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight goes off when highway lights turned on.

I have a 2015 Heritage. When I turn on the highway lights or auxiliary lights as some call them, my headlight goes out. If I turn off the switch, they go off, but my headlight stays off. I have to turn off the ignition and turn it on again to get my headlight to come on. I changed grips and I'm wondering if I might have done something to the light switch or wiring.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:27 PM
rjwin
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fixed it. I think.

I loosened the clutch lever mount, moved it away and loosened the left grip and switch housing. I put it up a bit and checked for pinched wires. Then I turned on the ignition and the lights worked exactly as they should. I tightened down the switch housing and they still worked. I put the clutch mount against it being careful not to over tighten the bottom screw where the wires pass through. It still worked. Somehow, somewhere I must have pinched a wire. Anyway, it works now. Before I was mistaken. When I switched on the highway lights, everything went off and stayed off until I turned off the ignition and turned it back on. If anyone knows of something I should do, please let me know.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

That kind of thing usually indicates a bad ground somewhere. Be very sure you have a good ground between the engine and the battery. Could be grounding through the clutch cable, which will burn out in time.

The light thing...again bad ground. The light is grounding through the passing lamps, when you turn them on, it can't. Check your headlight ground.