Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Light kits LED for the body of the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Light kits LED for the body of the bike?

Have some down time. Been looking at light kits. LEDGlow. Kits look nice but I have no idea were to begin. Where to place the lights or what extensions I need? And how to's or read me's. Or just advise. Thanks

Old 02-23-2016, 08:39 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look into LED strip lights. The use 12 volt power and can be stuck just about anywhere, under fenders, under the tank, on the frame, etc. You can get single color lights or RGB ones. The only thing is you will need automotive wiring experience, plus know how to solder.

Also, LEDGlow kits are just using strip lights with a high price tag. You can get LED strip lights on Amazon for a quarter of the price.

The following users liked this post:
Budda109 (03-06-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:32 AM
Firemandiver
Intermediate
Received 82 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get them at any Autozone in a dozen varieties and colors. They can be cut to length. You can get them all day on fleabay too, but at parts stores most are fixed with a "try me" button, so you can see what they look like before hand.

FD

Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

You can find cheap kits on fleabay.

Mines 7 colours made up of all sorts....strips, pods, single LEDS.... all controlled by remote.
I started with a XKGlow 7 colour pod kit.

Take your time, its not that hard.

Goodluck. Post some pics when youre done.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Very cool!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 PM
tankthebiker
Road Master
Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts

I just picked up a remote and a roll of LEDs for $12. Lets see if they work well.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Covenant
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from LEDGLOW! After doing a meticulous installation where I removed the fenders and tank to hide all the wires, I connected everything and tucked the excess wire behind the oil bag just like in the video. I tested everything and it was working great. I took the bike for a ride and when it got dark I was super excited to show off my new lights. I used the app to start up my pre-programmed lights and only one zone turned on. As my friends watched I changed to a different setup and the lights went out. That was it, the controller died. I removed the seat and the light on the control box was off even though the power to the bike itself was fine. I checked and replaced the fuse but that was not the problem. I gently tugged the wire harness out from behind the oil bag and discovered that 3 of the wires had lost their connectors and bare wires were making contact and shorted out the control unit! I can't understand how these wires worked themselves loose! The quality of this kit is very poor and the design of the control box is so bad that it will short out without burning out the fuse! LEDGLOW refuses to replace the $70 control box even though they agreed to replace the faulty wires.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:48 PM
ranran4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[+1 for xkglow as well. 4 lights out in 1year. total junk.

QUOTE=Covenant;15333406]Stay away from LEDGLOW! After doing a meticulous installation where I removed the fenders and tank to hide all the wires, I connected everything and tucked the excess wire behind the oil bag just like in the video. I tested everything and it was working great. I took the bike for a ride and when it got dark I was super excited to show off my new lights. I used the app to start up my pre-programmed lights and only one zone turned on. As my friends watched I changed to a different setup and the lights went out. That was it, the controller died. I removed the seat and the light on the control box was off even though the power to the bike itself was fine. I checked and replaced the fuse but that was not the problem. I gently tugged the wire harness out from behind the oil bag and discovered that 3 of the wires had lost their connectors and bare wires were making contact and shorted out the control unit! I can't understand how these wires worked themselves loose! The quality of this kit is very poor and the design of the control box is so bad that it will short out without burning out the fuse! LEDGLOW refuses to replace the $70 control box even though they agreed to replace the faulty wires.[/QUOTE]