Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Occasional Speedometer and other failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:26 AM
mikemccart@embarqmail.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional Speedometer and other failures

Hello,

I am in need of some advice and help. I have a 96 Road King that occasionally will lose the speedometer, the odometer, the horn and the auto blinker ability. I have had it to two different shops that can not find any problems. there is no causation when it goes out, Usually all works when I first start the ride but will go out at some point. Any Ideas would be a great help.

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-31-2016, 11:52 AM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

The speedometer, odometer, and auto blinker sounds like a VSS to me (I believe the 96's used a VSS but I could be wrong) The only think that doesn't fit with this is the horn issue.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Mike,
Welcome to the forum!
I don't have the Manual for a 96 but I do have one for 04 and if the schematics are the same then everything you mentioned, Speedometer, Horn, and turn signals are fed by the o/w wire from the accessory fuse. That wire also powers both brake switches. It doesn't appear that those circuits share a common connector or a common ground.
Some go to the left hand ground and some to the right hand ground.
I guess I would start at the fuse block and make sure the accessory fuse and wires are well connected then look at the frame grounds, Left and Right.

The accessory fuse gets it's power from the R/GY wire that comes from the accessory side of the ignition switch, so it is hot when the ignition switch is in Accy or run position. I don't know if you can take the switch out and break it down to clean contacts. I guess you could pull the connector on the Ignition switch and hook an ohm meter to the bat and accy side and try wiggling the switch while the switch was on but it may take heat from current flow to make it act up.

Good Luck
Bill

Last edited by Vernal; 01-31-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemccart@embarqmail.com
Hello,

I am in need of some advice and help. I have a 96 Road King that occasionally will lose the speedometer, the odometer, the horn and the auto blinker ability. I have had it to two different shops that can not find any problems. there is no causation when it goes out, Usually all works when I first start the ride but will go out at some point. Any Ideas would be a great help.

Thanks
Mike
Hello and welcome.
In order to better "see" and understand the situation can you provide some more information.
For example:
Miles
Is the bike fuel injected.
Length of ownership.
Some bike history..pulled from a lake, wrecked, garage queen etc.
Any changes from original..for example maybe someone put a fairing on the bike, changed lights, electrical system, handlebars, maybe it was a police bike.
I will guess that the bike continues to ride as normal when the speedometer and odometer are lost.
I will guess they all happen at the same time...meaning the loss of the horn is at the same time as the speedometer and blinkers..
With the limited information available, I am thinking that you have two different problems.
If you have an electronic speedometer with the LCD odometer screen.
Remove the speed sensor at the transmission and clean it.
The speed sensor is used for the speedometer, odometer and turn signal operation.
The horn might just be giving up the ghost..remove horn and test on a car battery.
Then just test leads with a test light. The ground might be bad but the horn itself might be the issue.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts