Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015 | 11:38 PM
mrdillinger81
|
Stage I
Default Electrical?

I recently installed an LED light kit and replaced my battery in my 2008 Electra Glide. I took it to a local because I thought I may have damaged something while hooking up the LED lights, because after I installed them, the brake/taillight stopped working. Turned out the bulb just blew. The day I got it home from the shop, the battery died, and I replaced it. Since I installed the battery, my gauges are jumping up and down, and my volt meter is extremely high, to the point where its almost all the way over to the right. The engine light will come on eventually, but it will run fine the first 30-45 minutes or driving. Then it seems like it starts running really choppy, and has a loss of power. Especially in first gear. I can crank the throttle all the way back, and it just sputters. What could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-29-2015 | 05:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member

It is possible you have a charging system problem, with voltages too high. There are two Stickies at the top of this section which guide you through checking your charging system, you will need a multimeter. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-29-2015 | 07:34 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mrdillinger81
I recently installed an LED light kit and replaced my battery in my 2008 Electra Glide. I took it to a local because I thought I may have damaged something while hooking up the LED lights, because after I installed them, the brake/taillight stopped working. Turned out the bulb just blew. The day I got it home from the shop, the battery died, and I replaced it. Since I installed the battery, my gauges are jumping up and down, and my volt meter is extremely high, to the point where its almost all the way over to the right. The engine light will come on eventually, but it will run fine the first 30-45 minutes or driving. Then it seems like it starts running really choppy, and has a loss of power. Especially in first gear. I can crank the throttle all the way back, and it just sputters. What could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like you may have a bad voltage regulator. What are the voltage readings?