Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Failing Voltage Regulator...can I ride it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Failing Voltage Regulator...can I ride it?

Been dealing with this issue for a little while now with my 2012 FLHTCU. A while back, had both the "check engine" & "battery" lights come on, as well as drop on the voltmeter and a quick high reading up to almost 16. Checked for codes and had both P0562 (battery voltage low) & P0563 (battery voltage high). Checked obvious causes, all seems good. Restarted bike...no warning lights on & voltmeter back to just over 14. Not knowing if these codes are old or current, I cleared them. Been for a couple of short rides (50 - 100 miles) since then...all seems normal. I have noticed the voltmeter drop a bit for a few seconds a couple of times, but then right back to just over 14. Checked codes after riding and no codes at all. All seems to point to a failing voltage regulator so I ordered a new Cycle Electric unit.

Here's my problem/question. My new voltage regulator is lost in transit somewhere between here and Africa. Yes...you read that correct...Africa! USPS for some crazy reason sent my package to the Congo, and that's where it sits as of this morning according to tracking. We have a trip planned for this weekend, leaving Friday morning. Going to be about 1000 miles round trip. Bike starts & runs just fine.

Looking for wisdom from those more knowledgeable than I. Would you:
1. chance it and ride as is?
2. if yes, is there possibility of creating further issues/damage riding as is?

Don't really want to cancel out on our ride.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:56 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

A failing stator is a more likely cause of low voltage. The stator should put out around 20V of alternating current for every 1000 engine rpm. The regulator takes that AC voltage and turns it into DC voltage and limits it to 14V or so. A failing voltage regulator will manifest ss spikes in voltage and give different codes. A stator can fail in different ways. Mine gives me a low voltage "spike" once every two or three months but otherwise has been working fine. But, I do know that they can fail completely without much warning. Another cause of low voltage could be as simple as loose/poor connections at the battery.
In short, you're probably good for your ride but be aware that the stator could fail at anytime without much in the way of warning.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:07 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,794 Likes on 11,582 Posts

...or it could be an intermittent voltage regulator. Hopefully you checked all the electrical connections: on the battery, other end of the battery connections, DC out of the regulator, ac in to the regulator, fuses.

Btw...other than loose or bad connections, my money is on the regulator. And since I had one go on my 2012, as well as many on this forum...I now carry a spare on trips.

If you start a ride with a fully charged battery, and then the regulator or stator completely die, you will then be running on battery power. I don't know how long that will last...but I'm guessing no more than 30 minutes. So...its your gamble.

Oh yeah...once you have a bad charging system, and after you get it fixed...you should strongly consider replacing the battery, as it has not been maintained properly.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I had also posted this over in the Touring section and got a bunch of similar replies.

Also posted the following there just before we left on our trip (I did replace the vr). Just got back...bike ran flawless and voltmeter stayed just above 14 as it should the whole trip.

"Thanks for all the replies gents! My Cycle Electric vr is still somewhere in the Congo so I ended up going to the local Harley dealer, spending about $100 more for an OEM vr yesterday. Anyway...better safe than sorry. Installed and all is good.

Off on our road trip now. Looking forward to getting a way for a couple of days.

Thanks again!"

Old 06-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Jimmac
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 street glide voltage regulator trouble ?

I got my voltage regulator changed in 2012 for the recall .every time I take my bike to work it is about 20 miles,The battery and engine light comes on when I am almost to work or home.does the vr. Not work when the bike gets hot.or does the stator.The vr. Is at 14.5 then it goes down to 12 volts .is the 12 volts just reading the battery or is the bike only putting that amount of volts?

Old 06-13-2016, 06:55 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmac
I got my voltage regulator changed in 2012 for the recall .every time I take my bike to work it is about 20 miles,The battery and engine light comes on when I am almost to work or home.does the vr. Not work when the bike gets hot.or does the stator.The vr. Is at 14.5 then it goes down to 12 volts .is the 12 volts just reading the battery or is the bike only putting that amount of volts?
12V is most likely the battery voltage, but even if the regulator drops to 12V, it's still bad. 12V isn't enough to charge the battery.

I think you have another bad voltage regulator. I'd change it out.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Harleylvr
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My voltage regulator went out on me this weekend, drained my battery, and stranded me. I wouldn't go too far knowing it's going bad.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

No way I would go on a trip with a bad volt reg.

Also keep riding it, and you may fry your battery and electrical components.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Norley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,398 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
No way I would go on a trip with a bad volt reg.

Also keep riding it, and you may fry your battery and electrical components.
I copy that, but trying to get the regulator back of a congo silver back is worse.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

2012 had a run of bad VRs - they would often stop charging when hot. Many were replaced with ones that then also failed. There was a service program on it.

https://www.cyclefish.com/blogs/2267/2225

Quick Reply: Failing Voltage Regulator...can I ride it?