Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Speedo Lag - Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Speedo Lag - Speed Sensor?

So I went out and did some riding this morning without any issues. I ended up parking my bike for about 8 hours to go out and do some stuff with a friend of mine, and noticed something didn't seem right when I was heading home.

I was running down a back road in fourth gear at normal cruising speed, but when I looked down my speedo read about 30mph. I knew that wasn't right but thought maybe I had spaced it and was in third because of how tired I was. I cycled down through the gears to about 5mph and saw that I hadn't been. I slowly ran it back up through fourth using natural shift points and when I looked down I was showing about 28mph. I would guess my real speed was around 45.

Laying here in bed now and thinking back, my turn signals haven't been canceling normally either.

My guess would be that my speed sensor either needs cleaned or replaced, but since I'm going to bed now and am not going to get up and try that I thought I would see if anybody had any other thoughts or had experienced that issue in the past.

My bike is an '01 for the record. Fuel injected.