Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Turn signals no longer running

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:23 PM
adotcorona
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals no longer running

Hey everyone!

I did a minor mod by moving my rear turn signals to my license plate. Only problem is the signals no longer run when i turn the ignition on. They function properly when I use the blinker but turn completely off after that. The only signal that functions is the front right one. Anyone have experience in this? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First, If you did this work without disconnecting your battery then check the fuses.

Also, you did not mention if you replaced the stock turn signals with aftermarket turn signals when you did the move. If you used the stock signals make sure each wire you cut was reconnected to the right wire.

Tip:
Twisting wires together and wrapping them in electrical tape can result in poor connections and/or wires pulling apart. Always solder your connections and use heat shrink insulation.

I'm not sure what your year and model your bike is and how many wires you have, but sometimes the turn signal housing grounds directly to the frame/fender rail and you would not have a ground wire. If this is the case your license plate frame may not be providing a good ground.

Tip:
Grounds should be made to bare metal. Painted surfaces and non-conductive connectors will prevent good grounds.

I might be able to help more with some more information.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 AM
adotcorona
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Enodrano,

Thanks for your response. Sorry for not giving all the info. I'm using the stock turn signals with different lenses and bulbs. I'm positive the right wires are going to the right lights since the turn signals still blink. they just don't stay on.

They are shrink wrapped but I might have to go back to solder them if you think that'll help. The front, right light seems to be functioning properly. I didn't move any original grounds as I just cut and connected the wires. I attached photos to give you an image.

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by enodrano
First, If you did this work without disconnecting your battery then check the fuses.

Also, you did not mention if you replaced the stock turn signals with aftermarket turn signals when you did the move. If you used the stock signals make sure each wire you cut was reconnected to the right wire.

Tip:
Twisting wires together and wrapping them in electrical tape can result in poor connections and/or wires pulling apart. Always solder your connections and use heat shrink insulation.

I'm not sure what your year and model your bike is and how many wires you have, but sometimes the turn signal housing grounds directly to the frame/fender rail and you would not have a ground wire. If this is the case your license plate frame may not be providing a good ground.

Tip:
Grounds should be made to bare metal. Painted surfaces and non-conductive connectors will prevent good grounds.

I might be able to help more with some more information.

Good Luck!

Attached Thumbnails Turn signals no longer running-img_0369.jpg   Turn signals no longer running-img_0370.jpg   Turn signals no longer running-img_0371.jpg