Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rear signals converted to brakes too???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:35 PM
joebedford
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rear signals converted to brakes too???

I have a 2002 FLHTCUI new to me. Apparently it's supposed to have rear signals act as running and brake lights as well as signals. It has red lenses.

Problem is they only act as signals. Bulbs are single filament. Is it possible they can be signals and brakes with one filament? I don't even know where to look to find out if it has the conversion part.

Any suggestions?

And while I have you, do the tourpak lights normally work as running lights only or running / brake lights? I have the latter.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:38 PM
t100rc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run/brake/turn module ... Converts the turns to all three ... Even single filament. There are plenty of plug n play options. Custom Dynamics, badlands, etc ...
http://www.customdynamics.com/tailconversion_kit.htm

Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your signals are true run/brake/turn then you need dual filament bulbs. Right now you have a 1156 single filament bulbs. Try replacing them with 1157 dual filament bulbs. It will only cost a few bucks to find out before you spend money on a converter.

Note:
A dual filament bulb has two filaments (Duh). One filament is brighter than the other. The dim filament acts as the running light and is on all the time. The brighter filament can act as the brake light or turn signal but not both at the same time and the turn signal will always take precedent over the brake light when activated.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 PM
joebedford
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Finally went out for a ride with wifey. She says that when I'm cruising, the brake light and the two lights on the tourpak are on. When I apply the brakes, those three become brighter and the two brake / turn signals come on.

If I'm braking and indicating, the appropriate brake / turn signal flashes and the other one is on steady.

Sounds like it's working fine!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:40 PM
t100rc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by enodrano
If your signals are true run/brake/turn then you need dual filament bulbs. Right now you have a 1156 single filament bulbs. Try replacing them with 1157 dual filament bulbs. It will only cost a few bucks to find out before you spend money on a converter.
Not true.

The RBT module feeds the single filament bulbs controlled voltage differentials to make the effect of dual filament bulbs. Be installed dozens a and have one on my wife's '04 Sportster. I promise that the rear signals are single filament and act as both running lights and brake / turn signals.

Secondly, if it has single filament bulbs in it, the sockets only have the one connector in them ... You canNOT just change from single to dual without rewiring ...

Plugging in a run/brake/turn module nets the OP the results he was seeking.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:41 PM
t100rc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joebedford
Finally went out for a ride with wifey. She says that when I'm cruising, the brake light and the two lights on the tourpak are on. When I apply the brakes, those three become brighter and the two brake / turn signals come on.

If I'm braking and indicating, the appropriate brake / turn signal flashes and the other one is on steady.

Sounds like it's working fine!
Real news ... No $$ needed!