Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Check engine / voltage light

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015 | 06:47 AM
Kenneth Snyder
|
Stage I
Default Check engine / voltage light

I have a 2007 flhx with a intermittent electrical problem, my voltage gauge normally reads around 14 volts but after I'm riding for awhile it will occasionally drop to 11.5-12 volts and check engine and voltage lights come on , sometimes by revving engine it will go off other times it stays on. I tested the stator and it checks out ok, replaced the voltage regulator and still does the same thing. I recently ordered a new stator going to replace that also , but it checked out ok , any one have any ideas what else might cause this? It seems like after the engine is warm it does it more frequently once it cools down the light goes back off and voltage reads around 14 again.

Old 06-29-2015 | 08:41 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kenneth Snyder
I have a 2007 flhx with a intermittent electrical problem, my voltage gauge normally reads around 14 volts but after I'm riding for awhile it will occasionally drop to 11.5-12 volts and check engine and voltage lights come on , sometimes by revving engine it will go off other times it stays on. I tested the stator and it checks out ok, replaced the voltage regulator and still does the same thing. I recently ordered a new stator going to replace that also , but it checked out ok , any one have any ideas what else might cause this? It seems like after the engine is warm it does it more frequently once it cools down the light goes back off and voltage reads around 14 again.
Bad connection in the charging circuit or a thermal problem with the voltage regulator.

Old 06-29-2015 | 12:50 PM
Tracerm
Stage III
Default Engine Light, Battery Light, Volt Meter

2013 FLHX, 25,000 miles. After experiencing engine, battery light coming on and volt meter going from 14.5 volts to 16, then 10, went to dealership, explained problem, had voltage regulator replaced two weeks ago. This past Saturday was riding in a fairly hot day. All was well until I got about twenty miles from the house. Volt meter went to 10 volts, engine and battery light came on AGAIN! After bike cooled down problem went away. Codes P0562, P0563 displayed in diagnostics. Called dealership, explained what was happening again. Said they would call technical support. Still waiting on phone call back. Could this be a bad voltage regulator AGAIN??!!!