Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

no head light or spots

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:05 PM
ojohn
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no head light or spots

Hello all I am hoping to get some help here.. I have a 2011 ultra classic. I rode home one night with my high beam on and parked my bike, the next time I started it I have no head light high or low and no spot lights..all other lights work. I have replaced the fuse with other 15 amp fuses that are working in other places and the relay is clicking when the switch is turned on.. When I pull the relay all the lights go out so I think that would eliminate the relay as the problem.. Would all my head lights low high and spots stop working if the head light bulb is blown? I have taken the head light bulb out and looked at it to me it looks fine, I know it could still be blown. I also pulled the high low switch out but I didn't see any way to test it ?? Could some one tell me what the head light plug should read with a meter and what wires to test? This is my first time asking for help on here, usually I came find an old thread with the same problem but I have look for hours and searched the site and I found nothing with exact same problem.. I sure would appreciate the help...thanks

Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Your headlight is on a separate fuse from the lights, it should be marked headlight.
Check it again.
You should have 12 v on the white wire or yellow wire at the headlight connector with the headlight out, the lights on depending on where the switch is at.
Having the light burnt out should not effect the others.
There is a blue wire that runs from the fuse to your Hi/lo switch it should be 12 v. At the connector going to the handle bar.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM
ojohn
Stage IV

Thanks for the info harleycruiser I won't be able to check it until Saturday. I have checked both light fuses and both are good. I will check the lamp plug and the switch Saturday morning. I'll let you know how it goes...

Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

A bad connection at the ignition switch or a bad switch period will cause those symptoms. Occam's razor.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ojohn
Thanks for the info harleycruiser I won't be able to check it until Saturday. I have checked both light fuses and both are good. I will check the lamp plug and the switch Saturday morning. I'll let you know how it goes...
How did you check them?
Do you have a volt meter? Pull the fuse out enough to get a probe on it and check both sides for 12v.
For kicks switch the light relay for the start relay.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:57 PM
ojohn
Stage IV

hello all, sorry for the delay I just got time to fill you in on what I checked out.. I pulled the fuses out enough to get the volt meter on it and both sides of the fuses have 12 volts.. The head lamp plug reads nothing on the white (high) or low ( yellow) when the lights are on and operating the high low switch.. I can't switch the light relay for another because the other ones are all smaller.. The relay does click when I turn the bike on, does that mean it is working?.. I took the switch out of the housing and checked for pinched wires and didn't see anything.. At this point I think it is the switch but to me it looks like a big job to run the wires for a new switch.. Has anyone had the dealer change the switch and if so how much did it cost ya.. Has anyone changed their high low switch before? and was it difficult to feed the wires down through the harness? Thanks again for your time and help.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

Deleted....

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-29-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you getting 12v on the blue wire going to the Hi lo switch?

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 06-29-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 AM
ojohn
Stage IV

I'm not sure how I can check the blue wire. The wires at the switch are all sealed into the switch. Do I have to take the outer fairing off to test it? is there a plug inside the fairing where it goes up the handle bar?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Let me look at my skematic where the spots branch off.

Quick Reply: no head light or spots