Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

self canceling directionals won't turn off 1996 softail

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default self canceling directionals won't turn off 1996 softail

As the title states they work fine but won't turn off unless I cancel them manually. They worked fine for the last three years I've owned the bike and the only thing I've done differently as of recent is take the tank off and the dash off to do intake manifold gaskets. The speedo works fine so I'm ruling out speed sensor as I assume they run off that to know when to cancel. Best I can find here is check the connector the goes to the dash cause maybe I didn't push it all the way in, well I went back and disconnected then reconnected all the connectors. I'm not saying they stopped working after the manifold gasket job but when I noticed they started staying on it was after doing the gaskets maybe 2 weeks prior. Any input would be helpful thanks.

1996 heritage

Old 06-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
As the title states they work fine but won't turn off unless I cancel them manually. They worked fine for the last three years I've owned the bike and the only thing I've done differently as of recent is take the tank off and the dash off to do intake manifold gaskets. The speedo works fine so I'm ruling out speed sensor as I assume they run off that to know when to cancel. Best I can find here is check the connector the goes to the dash cause maybe I didn't push it all the way in, well I went back and disconnected then reconnected all the connectors. I'm not saying they stopped working after the manifold gasket job but when I noticed they started staying on it was after doing the gaskets maybe 2 weeks prior. Any input would be helpful thanks.

1996 heritage
The self cancelling turn signal module (it's a grey rectangular box with a connector) is what processes the speed sensor signal. The sensor does not cancel the signals, the module does based on input from the speed sensor.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-01-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
The self cancelling turn signal module (it's a grey rectangular box with a connector) is what processes the speed sensor signal. The sensor does not cancel the signals, the module does based on input from the speed sensor.
Good info. I'm gonna check the connections and if it looks good I'll look into replacing it. Gatta start somewhere