Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015 | 03:55 AM
Harleynoob
|
6th Gear
Default Ignition problems

1984 softtail... So i found an orange wire that runs from the ignition to the forks, it had a medium sized splice in it that was most likely arching on the frame. When you look at the frame where that wire was it stripped most of the paint away (I couldn't see this because the right tank was in the way). So i started taping up the wire and pulled a bit too hard and it literally came right out of the harness. So i cut the other side of the harness and hardwired it together. Found another wire that wasn't connected and it turned out to be the headlight so now that works yay! After putting everything back together if i wiggle where the lights sit in the ignition it won't show the right (red) light coming on or either indicator, but keep in mind if i wiggle them they sometimes come on. So i took it for a rip down the street got gas and made my way back and power completely shut down on me twice. Is there possibly another short? cause i've followed every wire in this thing or is it just super old wires? By the looks of it it hasn't been rewired since manufacturer made it in 1984.

Old 05-27-2015 | 05:02 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleynoob
1984 softtail... So i found an orange wire that runs from the ignition to the forks, it had a medium sized splice in it that was most likely arching on the frame. When you look at the frame where that wire was it stripped most of the paint away (I couldn't see this because the right tank was in the way). So i started taping up the wire and pulled a bit too hard and it literally came right out of the harness. So i cut the other side of the harness and hardwired it together. Found another wire that wasn't connected and it turned out to be the headlight so now that works yay! After putting everything back together if i wiggle where the lights sit in the ignition it won't show the right (red) light coming on or either indicator, but keep in mind if i wiggle them they sometimes come on. So i took it for a rip down the street got gas and made my way back and power completely shut down on me twice. Is there possibly another short? cause i've followed every wire in this thing or is it just super old wires? By the looks of it it hasn't been rewired since manufacturer made it in 1984.
How did you splice the wires together, twist and tape?
Until you go through all the wires and inspect repair I would not ride it farther than you want to push it home.

Old 05-27-2015 | 05:05 AM
Harleynoob
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
How did you splice the wires together, twist and tape?
Until you go through all the wires and inspect repair I would not ride it farther than you want to push it home.
ya twist and tape, I looked at all the other wires that were around that area and they seemed not broken but just maybe old. no other wires had been split open but they're just tough to bend and such

Old 05-27-2015 | 05:12 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleynoob
ya twist and tape, I looked at all the other wires that were around that area and they seemed not broken but just maybe old. no other wires had been split open but they're just tough to bend and such
Twist and tape is asking for a walk home. Learn to solder and srink wrap or find some one who does.
And you need to pull the tank to do a good inspection repair.