Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rt turn signal comes on with brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Rockboyz
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rt turn signal comes on with brake

Hey Guys, This is a real mystery to me. Here's the deal: When applying the rear brake and pulling the front brake lever in, the right turn signal comes on. In addition, when I put the right turn signal on, apply rear brake, then pull the front brake lever, it shuts the turn signal off. So the problem is working "both" ways. Last but not least, if I put the left turn signal on, apply the rear brake and pull the front brake lever, the left turn signal shuts off and the right one comes on. This is a real puzzle to me. Is there a relay somewhere that might be bad? I called my local HD shop today. they told me to look for a loose speaker wire? Not sure that's the issue, or that I want to take it there. I put new bars on a couple months back and ran the wires thru. I looked everywhere for a "bare" wire, or a loose connection. I havnet had any issues till yesterday. Anybody have any ideas? Many thanks in advance. 08 Ultra by the way...thanks again

Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockboyz
Hey Guys, This is a real mystery to me. Here's the deal: When applying the rear brake and pulling the front brake lever in, the right turn signal comes on. In addition, when I put the right turn signal on, apply rear brake, then pull the front brake lever, it shuts the turn signal off. So the problem is working "both" ways. Last but not least, if I put the left turn signal on, apply the rear brake and pull the front brake lever, the left turn signal shuts off and the right one comes on. This is a real puzzle to me. Is there a relay somewhere that might be bad? I called my local HD shop today. they told me to look for a loose speaker wire? Not sure that's the issue, or that I want to take it there. I put new bars on a couple months back and ran the wires thru. I looked everywhere for a "bare" wire, or a loose connection. I havnet had any issues till yesterday. Anybody have any ideas? Many thanks in advance. 08 Ultra by the way...thanks again
Well you have a brake relay and a light relay, but I don't believe either would do this.
How did you run your wires, are they inside the bars?
Did you extend the wires and how did you join them?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

Ran the wires thru the bars. Certainly was a real PIA. Did not extend them. Just re-routed the plugs. I used heat shrink, and electrical tape. What I don't understand is how everything was fine for 500+ miles/ 3 mths, and now its not. I would think if it was in the bars, problems would have happened almost immediately. Doesn't make sense

Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Well think about it, the right turn signal and brake light have got to be wired together through bare wires.
When you put on the brake a signal is being sent to the tsm to turn on the right signal. When the signal is on and the brake is pulled the tsm gets another signal, this time the tsm turns off the signal.
When the left signal is on and brake is pulled the tsm gets a signal to cancel the left and turn on the right.
The problem has to be on the right side probably where the wires go into or out of the bars.
I am not sure but believe the bars are not grounded so if both are bare there then you get a connection between the two and don't blow a fuse.
It will be the wire going to the brake light and the turn going to the tsm.
I can get the wire colors if you need them.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

HC, Thanks for the explanation. Starting to make sense. The wire colors would be a big help. Many thanks!

Old 05-10-2015, 06:57 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

HC, Thanks for the explanation. Starting to make sense. The wire colors would be a big help. Many thanks!
NP, the r turn going to the tsm is white and brown.
The brake wire going to the tail light is red and blue.
The problem could also be in the right hand control.
But my money is on where the wires go though the bars, when we drill the hole s it leaves s sharp edge.
Make sure you waller out that hole good,use a rat tail file to clean up the edge and put an extra layer of shrink or some kind of protection.
Let us know what you find.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

So a little different scenario...I have the right hand control/brake lever off... pushing / pulling the wires as much as they will move, and now I can turn the right turn signal on/off by just hitting the rear brake pedal by itself. You think its in the bars? or maybe the control?

When I push the right turn signal on, the brake light lights up. It seems like now it has nothing to do with the front brake. Rear brake and turn signal.

Last edited by Rockboyz; 05-10-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,752 Likes on 4,729 Posts

You can do a quick check with a voltmeter, read voltage at the white/brown wire at the connector for the right hand switches, while pressing the brake pedal.

If it shows voltage, you can be pretty sure the problem is between the front brake light switch and the connector for the handlebar switches.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

So a little different scenario...I have the right hand control/brake lever off... pushing / pulling the wires as much as they will move, and now I can turn the right turn signal on/off by just hitting the rear brake pedal by itself. You think its in the bars? or maybe the control?

When I push the right turn signal on, the brake light lights up. It seems like now it has nothing to do with the front brake. Rear brake and turn signal.
So the conditions have changed as you are working on, and moving around wires?
What do you think;-)
Keep digging.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

Im wondering if conditions have changed cuz the frt brake lever/switch is not being activated now..due to the lever being off the bike. I am moving the wires and nothing is happening. My wire theory is fading.

As Dan suggested, I tried (to the best of my knowledge) to put a voltage meter on and I cant get it to read anything. I don't use a meter everyday, but I've used it before, so I think I'm doing it right.

Pulling the bars and wires back out again is gonna be a nightmare. Granted, I will do whatever it takes, but I wanna be sure this is where the problem lies.

Quick Reply: Rt turn signal comes on with brake