Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rt turn signal comes on with brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

Why is your wire theory fading? Things are changing as you move the wires around. I bet you have some wires rubbed raw at the spot where they exit the bars, they don`t have to touch each other, they only need to touch the handlebar.

The handlebar will make the connection from one bare wire to another.

Now you moved the wires and maybe the problem goes away, until they move back into that position...

Old 05-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Rockboyz
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing has changed. My fault if I stated that. What changed is I have the front brake lever off. I didn't have the switch depressed. So it looked as though things have changed..but the problem is the same. I put my finger on the frt brake switch and now I have the "original" problem.

I was just wondering if the problem may have been in a "relay" or something like that...
I appreciate you guys giving me feedback. Im gonna pull the bars off later today. See if I can see anything where the wires exit the hole...

Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

Ok fellas, pulled the fairing. Wires coming out of the bars look fine. Nothing looks bare. I was able to push/pull the wire grouping from controls to exit about an inch or so. Still same problem. The only thing that I see that is different is the turn signal will blink 5 times at regular speed, then it starts flashing real fast.

In reviewing the handlebar swap in my mind, I made sure everything was tapped real good so I didn't have this kind of thing happen. The only connection inside the bars is for the TBW. I cut the "green" plug off and soldered and tapped the connection. No problem with the throttle. Mystery.

Gotta head out for a Mothers day brunch. Hope you guys enjoy todays Holiday. Again many thanks!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You need to keep going over the work done or practice with a volt meter or get a test light.
Unplug the tsm, see if you are getting 12 v on plug 7, i. The connector, the white and brown wire when the brake is on.
This is the feed for the right turn to the tsm.
If yes you are getting stray current some place from the brake.
There is no relay that toggles between the brake and turn, the brake does not go to the tsm.
The only connection between the two is that both are fed by a common wire the orange and white wire.
And the problem has to be after the brake switch, soooo.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

Ok, so I unplugged the TSM, put the tester on the Brown/white wire, applied brake pedal and on my meter I got a reading of 17.0...assuming this is not good. should have read nothing.

Other than the wires in the bars...any other possibilities?

Old 05-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rockboyz
Ok, so I unplugged the TSM, put the tester on the Brown/white wire, applied brake pedal and on my meter I got a reading of 17.0...assuming this is not good. should have read nothing.

Other than the wires in the bars...any other possibilities?
Well it tells us what we already know:-)
(I am assuming you meant 12)
Let me look at the schematic one more time, but I don't think so. Like Sid before it has to be after the brake switch and wire going to tsm, and the only logical place in in the bars.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

It was 17.0...Im sure I have it set on some other setting, Regardless, it should not read anything.
I would think with me moving the wires back and forth, I could at least make the problem a bit more intermittent. That's what I'm hung up on. It just started doing this, so if a wire rubbed "bare" somewhere, or is touching the bar, I would think moving it should start/stop the problem. Maybe a ground issue?

Old 05-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

When the brakes are not activated, do you read voltage on that wire?

It is not a ground problem.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

No it is not a ground issue HD does not ground at the point of installation, it runs a separate black wire to all the accessories. HD very seldom have ground issues due to this, and it does not act as a ground issue.
Looked again the only place the two wires run together is from the handle bar connector 1a to the switches.
They are together in the main harness but separate to go to separate connectors someplace I am assuming under the tank some place.
It could be rubbing at the staring head but doubt it.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Rockboyz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
When the brakes are not activated, do you read voltage on that wire?

It is not a ground problem.

No, only when the brake pedal is applied

Quick Reply: Rt turn signal comes on with brake