Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

89 heritage starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 AM
t.thompson259
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 heritage starter issue

Hey guys,
I picked up an 89 heritage softail classic over winter. I out about 140 miles on it so far. Today I was out for a putt to the local ice cream joint. And we'll we went to leave I flipped the kill switch to run and it the start button. The starter engaged but it wouldn't turn. It didn't "free wheel" like a bad bendix (I dealt with that on my shovelhead) It engaged bit that was it. Almost like a poor charged battery. I released the button quickly. And hit it again and it fired right up. So we ended up back home. Bike ran fine. Get home didn't shut it off til it was in the garage. Thought maybe the ignition got hot. Parked it. Cooked and ate dinner then walked outside after it had time to cool down. Went thru the starting process and it did the same thing. I've only had the bike since February but it's never done this to me before. Do you guys have any comments or suggestions as to what to check? I haven't got a chance to play with it yet. Starter? Loose wire? Switch going bad? Thanks in advanced for the help.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

How old is the battery?
Get a voltage reading on it running and shut off.
Have you cleaned the battery cables?

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 04-13-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 PM
t.thompson259
Novice

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
How old is the battery?
Get a voltage reading on it running and shut off.
Have you cleaned the battery cables?
I think I've narrowed it down. It's not anything to do with the battery. It's the ignition or starter getting hot I believe.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM
N-Truder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had somewhat similar issues myself. Brand new acid battery did that on mine, (220 CCA), switched to an AGM, (350 CCA), and never had a problem since. With the lead acid, it was sucking down to about 7.5V when engaging the starter. Biggest PITA is it would wipeout the settings on my Kenwood radio.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,427 Likes on 5,022 Posts

It`s not the ignition getting hot.

Charge the battery and have it load tested.

Clean all connections, the posts on the battery, the ground connection on the frame, the posts on the starter solenoid and starter motor.

Remove the end cover on the starter solenoid and inspect the electrical contacts, they might be burned.

You can find parts for this starter at any automotive starter repair shop, it is a common automotive unit (you don`t have to pay crazy high dealer prices for starter parts).

The original starter that came on the `89 big twins has less power than the `90 and later units.

The starter ring and pinion gear setup is also partially to blame for the starter struggling when it hits compression.

Although the 9/66 gear combination will spin the engine faster than the later models, it really takes a lot of grunt to get it cranking.

`89 Heritage... (I`ve had one in my garage since it was new).

Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 AM
t.thompson259
Novice

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

Clean all connections, the posts on the battery, the ground connection on the frame, the posts on the starter solenoid and starter motor.

Remove the end cover on the starter solenoid and inspect the electrical contacts, they might be burned.

You can find parts for this starter at any automotive starter repair shop, it is a common automotive unit (you don`t have to pay crazy high dealer prices for starter parts).

The original starter that came on the `89 big twins has less power than the `90 and later units.

The starter ring and pinion gear setup is also partially to blame for the starter struggling when it hits compression.

Although the 9/66 gear combination will spin the engine faster than the later models, it really takes a lot of grunt to get it cranking.

Oh wow! Okay I'll get on that! I have a trans am I built and the one starter I had kinda did the same thing the bike Is doing. The starter was getting hot and it would act up. Thanks for the great info!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:49 PM
t.thompson259
Novice

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

Okay. So I found my ground strap came loose. So I fixed that. Went for a quick ride. Blew the rear brake line. Fixed that. And went to start the bike and now I have zero power. Battery checks out good. I have no power at the switch on the dash. I have the same reading at the starter as the battery. Any ideas?

Old 04-15-2015, 04:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,427 Likes on 5,022 Posts

Remove the dash and check for loose connections at the ignition switch.

Check voltage at the tan wire, check voltage at the main breaker, the copper color terminal. The main breaker is mounted on the rear fender extension, front face.