Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

LEDs and turn signals flashing too fast

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question LEDs and turn signals flashing too fast

I have a 2012 RG with all LED lighting. CD LEDs in all turn signals, bag spoilers, tour pak spoiler and tri bar fender light. Day maker headlights. Super bright LEDs in the gauge lights and Florida Joe accent LED lighting. I have a CD load equalizer installed in the factory harness under the left side cover. Up until this point, all worked well. I just installed the Harley engine guard mount LED fog lamps per the instructions with the additional harness. I did relocate a couple of the pins in the harness so that the fog lights would stay on with the high beams (swapped the yellow and orange/red stripe to get power from acc circuit instead of headlight circuit). Now my turn signals flash too quickly. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Do I need a different load equalizer?

Thanks in advance for any advice and information

Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Turn ignition to accessory and then turn on the emergency flashers for 5 min. This sometime retrains the CANBUS for the new load.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:33 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Turn signal bulbs are connected to the same circuit as your turn signal indicator light on your dash. Most systems are designed for incandescent bulbs. When a bulb blows or goes out it becomes a safety hazard. Because of this the circuit has been designed to flash the dash indicator quicker than normal to make the operator aware that there is an issue with the bulb. This is done by detecting a drop in voltage. The issue with LED lights is that they use less voltage and will give a false positive alert on a circuit designed for incandescent bulbs. Since the light is not actually out the bulb will also flash quicker than normal. This is often referred to as Hyper Flashing. The way to fix this issue is to install a voltage regulator into the main wire harness of your turn signal circuit.

I had this issue when I installed LED turn signal bulbs. The voltage regulator I bought and installed came with directions to calibrate the regulator to my setup. It also had a switch for normal voltage or higher voltage. I suspect when you added the additional lights that lowered the voltage more resulting in the hyper flashing mentioned above. You may need a different regulator like the one I have so you can switch to a higher voltage to stop the hyper flashing.

This is what I installed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251291514056...witem=&vxp=mtr

CAN BUS Notes:
Motorcycles with a CANBUS electrical system require CANBUS compatible electrical accessories. In CAN BUS systems the electrical devices can communicate with each other. When this communication is broken or not available it can cause system issues and error codes. Most folks with CAN BUS systems run accessories directly from the battery in order to bypass the CAN BUS system. You also do not need to run a voltage regulator when connected to a CAN BUS circuit.

I do not believe your 2012 has a CAN BUS system. I believe Harley started putting CAN BUS in all their bikes 2015+. Although bikes sold in Canada have had them for many years.

Last edited by enodrano; 03-31-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm fairly certain that I do not have the CANBUS system either. I also do have a voltage regulator/load equalizer from Custom Dynamics installed, not certain that it is the same as the one you have linked to though but it at least similar. I do not recall any option to adjust it for high or low voltage. I might have to place a call to CD and see if they might have an idea.

I tried turning on the emergency flashers for a bit to see if that "reset" the system, but no go...

Thanks for the replies