Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

(Front) brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Dangit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Front) brake light problem

There is some slack in my front brake lever which causes my brake light to flicker or at times stay on. If I push the lever forward with my knuckles, the brake light stays off, but if I don't do this, the lever will eventually activate the brake light. It's as if the master cylinder plunger isn't pushing against the lever hard enough and not holding the lever completely open.

Any ideas before I frustrate the heck out of myself trying to diagnose this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like either you have some gunk in the piston bore preventing the spring from pushing the piston all the way back and or the spring inside the piston bore is corroded and weak or binding in the bore.
you might opt to rebuild it, it easly and not very expensive.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:00 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So I have this issue with my bike as well. The plunger slides in a rubber sleeve that dries out. When this happens the spring can't return the plunger far enough to disengage the brake light switch. You just need to lubricate the plunger. Do not use penetrating oil like WD-40 though. Use a silicon spray oil or something that is safe on rubber seals. You will eventually have to rebuild when the seal wears out though.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Dangit
Advanced

Thank you both. Now I have some direction.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I'd strip and inspect your handlebar master cylinder first. When I did that a few years ago I was disgusted at what came out! On many bikes, including mine, the master cylinder points up a little, so the fluid doesn't flush everything out when being bled, hence 'stuff' can accumulate inside. You can get an overhaul kit which replaces all the essential parts inside

Old 03-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Dangit
Advanced

grbrown, While working to fix this, I had actually considered going the extra step to replace my brake fluid. After a period of time/miles, the viscosity and efficacy brakes down.

Since this is a new-to-me scooter, it would probably be good to put in new brake fluid while I'm at it.

rd

Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 PM
HeritageBrads
Road Master
Received 744 Likes on 315 Posts

It seems to be a common fault over here the cylinder sticking., I cured mine with WD40.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangit
grbrown, While working to fix this, I had actually considered going the extra step to replace my brake fluid. After a period of time/miles, the viscosity and efficacy brakes down.

Since this is a new-to-me scooter, it would probably be good to put in new brake fluid while I'm at it.

rd
Yes brake fluid will absorb mosture from the air especially in humid environments, brake fluid is water soluble. Its a good idea to at least change the fluid if your not going to rebuild the master cylinder. I do mine about every 3-4 yrs

Last edited by okcjetmech; 03-29-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dangit

rd
That's a good move - start with everything fresh, so you know the bike is in top shape.