Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

99 ultra classic wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015 | 07:32 PM
Mayhemryder
|
Stage IV
Default 99 ultra classic wont start when hot

So I'm working on a bike for a friend whos at his whits ends with his bike. Last season his 1999 ultra classic started throwing cam sensor codes and wouldn't start after he had been riding longer than 20 min. So hes spent a couple grand and still no fix. Ive tried to check an find a solution. So far ive switched out the 50amp relay by the battery but that didnt help. Couldnt see any wire damaged or worn. He says the issue started after he had his bike painted and put it together. When he rides it and stops and trys to start it again you can hear the fuel pump prime and the bime turns over. Seems like it doesnt have any spark. If he waits about 30 mins or so it starts up. Any ideas would help so much?

Last edited by Mayhemryder; 03-16-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2015 | 09:04 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mayhemryder
So I'm working on a bike for a friend whos at his whits ends with his bike. Last season his 1999 ultra classic started throwing cam sensor codes and wouldn't start after he had been riding longer than 20 min. So hes spent a couple grand and still no fix. Ive tried to check an find a solution. So far ive switched out the 50amp relay by the battery but that didnt help. Couldnt see any wire damaged or worn. He says the issue started after he had his bike painted and put it together. When he rides it and stops and trys to start it again you can hear the fuel pump prime and the bime turns over. Seems like it doesnt have any spark. If he waits about 30 mins or so it starts up. Any ideas would help so much?
Have you replaced the cam sensor?
How are you checking for spark?

Old 03-17-2015 | 07:10 AM
Mayhemryder
|
Stage IV

My friend says hes changed the cam sensor, engine temp sensor, and tip over switch. And he says that the guy who was working on it says he check for spark. Not sure how he checked it but once i get the bike to my place I'll check for sure.