Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Looking for creative dash/instrument setup help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 PM
muttboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for creative dash/instrument setup help

Hello all,
I'm riding a 2007 Deuce. It's my daily driver.
I'm curious if my speedometer and indicator lights' wiring will work, from an electronics perspective, with a dash and speedo/indicators from something like, say, a Softail Slim? (That's an expensive move, btw!)

Actually, what I'd really like to do, or what I'm really looking to achieve is using Fatbob tanks and one of the available lower profile short dash panel. I like the shorter tank over the stock Deuce tank.
This would be a good way to keep function and improve form. However, I don't know if there is a speedometer that will work with my 2007 and fit in one of those style dash options. I'm not afraid to move pins and change plugs, etc. Does anyone have input on this idea?

Or...
Just ditch any factory style setup altogether:

I've considered getting the GuageFace setup for iPhones. It's like $160 and provides lots of cool realtime info and other neat stuff. Then I could have no ugly dash on a daily commuter.
But, I'm afraid it will be a lot of work making everything look slick and then that company goes south and I've got no support and have to redo everything.

I'm not apposed to just using one of those mini speedos with dummy lights and a trip odometer. I don't know which kind will work with the factory electronics, though.
The trip odometer is a must so I know when to fill up, of course.

Don't worry, I've already got the EFI worked out to go under/into what ever tank setup I decide on.
I just really hate the dash on my bike and I'm just wanting to change tanks to get rid of that dash, get a new look, and still have functionality.
I'll be keeping my factory stuff and paint nice and store that tank away.

So, basically, I'm looking for some kind of clean speedo/trip odometer/possible idiot lights setup that will work with an '07 Softail. It's not as easy to shop for as one would think.
(Oh, No Dakota Digital)

Anyone creative have any ideas?
Riding time is just around the corner...

Thanks folks.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I don't know about the 07, think it is can. But I have run my 07 without the speedo, and would think that any softail of the same time would work.
I am not sure if the 07 needs married to the tssm ign of not.
Idiot lights are 12 volts so pretty easy to stick some 12 v LEDs some place.
You could always use a GPS for your speed, mileage or an old phone hard wired to stay charged.
Heck I went the opposite fat to nigh train tank:-)

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 03-07-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I just checked out the guage face, that is pretty cool, had not seen it. That would be nice if you made some kind of housing for it to camifloge the wire and phone.
Maybe something on the riser.
You need to think about what you want, speed, milage, that is GPS. Oil light, everything else who cares.
That is just an old I phone and a idiot light.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 03-07-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 AM
muttboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to have:
Speedo, odo, oil light, check engine.
Other idiot lights are optional. Like you said, 12V LEDs cover those.
If I go with a gauge face, there are tons of mounts that are pretty secure, that come off as easily as the phone is taken out of the mount.
So getting it clean will be easy. With a smaller tank, I've even got room between the tank and the trees.
I can only find programable electronic mini speedos with an odometer. The ones with lights are mechanical. Not sure if I can use that on 07.
The electronic mini speedo, with a separate idiot light panel might be the cleanest, most reliable setup.