Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Turn Signal Issue, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 PM
cpmskinny
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issue, Need Help!

I recently purchased a 2010 Wide Glide that was all stock. I recently installed a set of Short Shots on it, and now I have an issue. The LH turn signal will come on immediately with the ignition switch and will not go off until you activate the RH turn signal. The RH turn signal operates just as it should, but once you perform this action, the LH will not operate any more until you turn off the ignition and back on again. I have located the plugs for each side under the seat but I cannot get the issue to present itself again until I cycle the switch. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Also, I do keep a battery tender plugged in while the bike is not in use, could that possibly have done something to this circuit?

I have ordered a service and repair manual for a schematic, but I am curious if this may be a relay somewhere not functioning properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:15 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

OK, well figured out that there must be a short to ground somewhere in my handlebars because when you move them around, the operation of the LH turn signal happens on it's own. It's either a loose connection in the switch housing, or a wire rubbing the frame somewhere I believe. If there are any other guesses, please feel free to mention them!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Your tender shouldn't have any affect on your bike at all. It sounds as if you are onto the cause, which is that lots of electrical problems are actually mechanical - a loose or damaged wire sounds most likely. You say the bike is stock, but internal wiring of the bars is a common theme with that sort of problem, due to wire damage.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:29 AM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

Thank you for the pointers, I moved the handlebars around a bit and the problem was intermittent. I am beginning to think it is the switch. I also received my Clymer manual yesterday, so I am going to start tracing out the connections as well.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:19 PM
cpmskinny
Intermediate

Well, rode it about 100 miles last weekend and the thing started working just fine again. Oh well, the gremlin rested for now. I'm just going to roll with it until the issue comes back again.