Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

CAN-bus and LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:53 PM
sdeck86
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN-bus and LEDs

Recently I installed rear H-D LED signals and a H-D LED tail lamp. Ever since, I have had rear LED blinking issues. I calibrated them with the BCM but they only work about half the time. I've listed my problem here before and been told I need a load equalizer for them, but my bike has a CAN-bus system and does not require load equalizers. When they stop working the console indicators begin flashing quickly and the rear LEDs stop flashing entirely. I have two error codes--b2151 and b2156 with pn 69994-128. All I've been able to tell is that the codes are for the rear signals. Sometimes the signals will function normally when I turn to the ignition switch, and then not work after engine ignition. Sometimes they will stop working mid-ride. Most of the time if I turn the bike off and on again, they will work again.

I have spoken to Harley about the signals several times and have not been given an answer. I am taking it in to the dealership in a few days if I can't resolve this myself. Has anyone had similar issues associated with their rear H-D LEDs or does anyone know a fix?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your LED's are probably not compatible with the CAN-BUS system. The CAN-Bus system needs to communicate with it's connections and a standard LED bulb does not provide that functionality. When the system can't communicate, errors codes will generate and the system may fail. Some folks recommend that you don't use LED's with a CAN-BUS system at all, however, CAN-BUS compatible LED's and accessories are available. I would first check to see if your lights are CAN-BUS compatible.

Also, adding things like a USB accessory connection could cause issues in a CAN-Bus system. Most people get power for accessories directly from the battery to bypass the CAN-BUS system.

Last edited by enodrano; 02-21-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 AM
sdeck86
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorted

Finally got this sorted out. I took it into Harley yesterday morning and had a return call 20 minutes later. They never really gave me an exact description of my error codes, other than to say the BCM was having issues communicating with my rear signals. They tried installing a rear load equalizer, but it caused even more signal dysfunction. Ultimately, they decided there is a compatibility issue with newer bikes and LEDs.

We decided to try tricking the BCM into functioning normally by installing stock incandescent lights on my forks. I've read about people doing this to correct signal problems. Today my girlfriend found several photos of LED/incandescent combos that are almost my exact setup. Two hours later my error codes were gone and all SIX signals worked perfectly. Parker, the SLC Harley manager told me he "puts out the fires" and charged me absolutely nothing for their work (which included fork mount parts).

I had issues with these signals for months and did a good amount of research to try and solve the problem. Once again, the Harley dealership came through and my bike is at 100% again. Hopefully, this may be helpful for anyone else having LED problems.