Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Dash gremlins in my '04 FLHTCI

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Kermit_t
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash gremlins in my '04 FLHTCI

I left for work this morning on my bike and got a few miles from home when the speedo an tach stopped working. I pulled in a t gas station and turned the ignition off. I waited a second and turned it back on and noticed the lights in the tach and speedo had quit working as well. The security light was on, too. I took the bike back to the house and parked it and noticed on the way that my turn signals weren't working either. I'm hoping I've got some loose wires in the fairing somewhere. I've only had the bike for about a week. The radio hasn't worked since I got it. This is my first Harley and it only took one ride to get me hooked, but I've already had several issues with it including this one. Anyone have any advice for me?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

I had trouble with a pinched wire from my voltage regulator, it was barely hanging by one strand and the bike exhibited the same symptoms. tach and speedo quit, and stereo shut off but would flash on and off. when it stayed off for any length of time, the motor light would come on. did you notice the reading on your voltmeter? found the problem when I went to change the regulator after the wire finally broke and my voltage dropped, repaired the wire and it hasn't happened again.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Kermit_t
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I gave it a quick look today and the fuse was blown. I replaced it and everything seems ok so far. All I can think of is I tapped the horn a couple of times yesterday to say "howdy" to my neighbor and the horn sounded kinda funny. I wonder if that may have overloaded the fuse, but not to the point of burning it completely out. I sure hope so. If that is the case it will narrow my search down to the horn circuit and I can live without a horn if need be. I'm still going to have to get into the fairing at some point to see if I can figure out why the radio won't power on. Thanks for the tip.