Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Jump start motorcycle from car???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Soarer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump start motorcycle from car???

Hello,
Can I jump by motorcycle battery from my car ? Someone said that you weren't supposed to. I thought they were both 12 volt.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:15 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Default RE: Jump start motorcycle from car???

Yes you can but I would not make a daily habit of doing it. Instead try to slow charge (1amp or less) your bikebattery for 8 hours. If the battery will not takeor holdcharge its time for a new battery.............BG

Old 01-16-2007, 01:31 AM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

I definitely wouldn't do it with the car running unless you want to risk frying your electrical components. You're fine jumping it from the car battery as long as the car isn't running...

Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone explain why not.
I'm no electrician, but I have a decent understanding of things.

A car puts out no more or less voltage than a bike. Sure the car battery can supply more amperage, but you only 'take' the amps you 'ask' for.
If your bike will turn over on the bikes battery when charged, then it shouldn't cause any problems.

This has to be old voodoo...

Old 01-16-2007, 04:28 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has to do with the alternator and the amps it forces throught your battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/51AE0980F7FC4D23BC29678FFBBC3AC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: turbo54

It has to do with the alternator and the amps it forces throught your battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/51AE0980F7FC4D23BC29678FFBBC3AC7.jpg[/IMG]
So you are saying that it is forcing the battery to recharge at too quick of a rate?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is OK to jump start with car, but I would limit it to emergencys only. The slower you recharge a battery the longer it will last. So anything you can do to limit the current during a recharge, such as not having the car running for less voltage, trickle charging etc., the better.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Did it once & fried the self canceling turn signal module. Maybe coincidence. but ir cost me $70 bucks for that jump.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:51 PM
nutsandbolts
Stage IV

i'm not sure about new harleys, but my 81 low rider put excess output from the alternator to ground. alternator put out about 27 amps. (this happens in the regulator) your car can probably put out around 100 amps. if car voltage regulator is "set" higher than the bike regulator the bike regulator will put excess to ground. (about73 amps too much.) if car isnt running this doesn't factor in. make sense?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Nutsandbolts,

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't make sense to me because amps just aren't floating around. When a device (starter for instance) draws power, it draws as much as it takes based upon the resistance created by its motor. As the motor spins up, it draws less power than on initiation because its got some internal intertia now. A headlight will draw a fairly constant value if you take out the minor changes for heat fluxuation.

I don't know what a bike battery can put out, but I'll guess it's at least 100 amps (If you think about it for a second, at 120 volts thats only ~10amps. A 10 amp @120v motor isn't that strong). Putting anything to ground would be a direct short and would draw far more current than most of the wiring, if not all could handle.

I'm thinking either its the charging the battery too fast (probably not likely though) or maybe a carryover from a time when bikes had 6-volt systems. It could also be that jumper cables are huge and the clamps may short out on things like the frame or battery box.

I'm going to see if I can find the answer somewhere, because it bugs me. I'm not saying its not true, I just want to know why.

Quick Reply: Jump start motorcycle from car???