Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

3 Batteries Killed! I need electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Bnwhite
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Batteries Killed! I need electrical help

I am a technical guy, built this bike from nothing and work on bikes all day at work but I'm stumped. Its a custom bike with a 95 evo motor and I assembled it and rode about 1000 miles without problems. Then After a long ride the starter was acting up. It would click and then slowly turn over the engine. Next try, nothing. Battery #1 dead. Got a new one (thanks warranty) thought it might be the used regulator I had. Replaced that as well. With the new battery and regulator installed, no problems for 2000 miles. Then same thing, long ride, stopped for a minute and then it had no power to turn the engine over. I assumed I had a rubbed through wire. I had to disassemble the bike for paint anyway so I took the entire wire harness out went over it with a fine tooth comb. One or two worn spots. Cool, fixed/relocated wires and new battery. Rode bike a couple days 300 miles maybe, and #3 went dead. This time no warning, I stopped for a minute and when I turned it back on, no lights no nothing. Jump started it from a car battery and was able to ride it home.

Now, one more new battery, checking everything. Stator is 45-65 VAC. Regulator is keeping the battery at 14 volts at any rpm. Everything seems to test good. Grounds look good, continuity between all grounding points. I have no idea what's going on but Battery Plus is sick of giving me batteries. I need some help.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help is easy at the Evo section! Give them spec/link to this. Unless you bought an...a electrical Nightmare!

Should be an easy fix! You type your knowledge well.