Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Zero electrical response - help in diagnosing needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 AM
jwyrem
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zero electrical response - help in diagnosing needed

I have another posting in this category, but realized I posted it with a very misleading title. Rather than posting it here again, I'd really like some help diagnosing my problem, which is fully detailed here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...ml#post8896727

Summary: Bike flaked out on me and I have zero electrical response ... fuses look OK.

Thanks for looking!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Your bike has a circuit breaker, they had some problems with them on the earlier bikes and HD put out a service bulletin to replace the 40 AMP circuit breaker with a 50 AMP, see which one your have. I would venture to beleive that yours is bad and need to be replaced. Not that big of a deal and not very expensive. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 PM
jwyrem
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Your bike has a circuit breaker, they had some problems with them on the earlier bikes and HD put out a service bulletin to replace the 40 AMP circuit breaker with a 50 AMP, see which one your have. I would venture to beleive that yours is bad and need to be replaced. Not that big of a deal and not very expensive. Good luck.
You, sir, were CORRECT. The circuit breaker had tripped and not reset itself as it should have. Somehow, when taking the battery out and putting it back in to diagnose the problem it did reset and the bike fired up again (of course, this was only after my Harley technician friend (guru) stopped by (way out of his way) to help me diagnose the problem ... so I looked like an idiot for a minute).

I did go to Autozone to find a replacement circuit breaker (50A) and bought two just in case it happened again ... for $4 each, I've added that to my emergency tool kit that I now take with me on every ride.

I'm not completely out of the woods, however, as the circuit did trip for a reason ... and on my last ride I was out for like 45min in 60 degree weather having a ball and on my way home (luckily, in my own sub) the bike started to flake out again in much the same was as it did just prior to the circuit breaker tripping last time. The bike didn't actually cut out and die like it did last time, just got all herky-jerky and almost stalled (seemed like it) with the lights flashing and the speedometer waving around.

I'm going to post that description now into another posting to see if I can get some help but if this sounds familiar to you, please advise!

Thanks in advance!