Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Beware When Buying SE Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Beware When Buying SE Tuner

I've read where folks are not reading the small print and being snookered by the MoCo. The SE Street performance tuner will only allow the dealer to upload street legal stage maps. The dealer has to buy a usb key from HD in order to use this, you won't be able to. The maps for this tuner do not allow you to modify them. If your in the market for the SE tuner from HD steer clear of the Street tuner which looks like this.

If you must buy a tuner from HD get one of the ones below.

This is the older version.

This is the newest version, note it doesn't say Street on it.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

News to me, I load MAPS on them all the time. I don't have a USB key of any kind. Can you ellaborate please? Any of the race tuners are not legal for the street. If you read the fine print on any of them you'll see that they are not street legal, for offroad use only.

Last edited by harleytuner; 10-25-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,505 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Different part numbers-
The 32109-08 allows off road use only maps to be modified/loaded into the customers bike.

The 41000008 Legal tuner allows street legal downloads to be flashed into the customers bike. The factory sells a USB key to the dealer, so only the dealer can reflash the customers bike with the digital tech. If the customer buys the cables, he can do data monitoring and clear codes, and the customer can try any of the legal downloads available for his bike. Dealer charges some labor each time the customer wants to change the download. It uses the latest MOCO stage maps, so if they come up with an update for your legal configuration, you can get it ( again , a small labor fee for flashing ECM)

Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Different part numbers-
The 32109-08 allows off road use only maps to be modified/loaded into the customers bike.

The 41000008 Legal tuner allows street legal downloads to be flashed into the customers bike. The factory sells a USB key to the dealer, so only the dealer can reflash the customers bike with the digital tech. If the customer buys the cables, he can do data monitoring and clear codes, and the customer can try any of the legal downloads available for his bike. Dealer charges some labor each time the customer wants to change the download. It uses the latest MOCO stage maps, so if they come up with an update for your legal configuration, you can get it ( again , a small labor fee for flashing ECM)
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not familiar with that one. But I see now where it says "Street Perfomance Tuner". Interesting. Am I to assume that Harley doesn't have downloads now, at least without the tuner?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the SE Supertuner Pro it is the PN 32109-08B?

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 10-25-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
What about the SE Supertuner Pro it is the PN 32109-08B?

Buddy...

You are OK. That part number is not the SEStreet Tuner.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

From what I have heard and read... HD can not flash using just the Digital Technician anymore. To flash a canned street legal calibration you must use the SEStreet and the dealership must have the USB Key Token.

Gearing more towards the EPA guidelines no doubt. This makes me wonder why a dealership will even need a Dyno in the future.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
From what I have heard and read... HD can not flash using just the Digital Technician anymore. To flash a canned street legal calibration you must use the SEStreet and the dealership must have the USB Key Token.

Gearing more towards the EPA guidelines no doubt. This makes me wonder why a dealership will even need a Dyno in the future.
Gearing more towards making everybody buy a tuner is my thought. They can get EPA standards with the download. I wonder what the cost differnence is between the 2 tuners? The that requires Digital Tech II is probably for California. Like the EX series of PC's, doesn't allow and adjustments in teh cruising ranges. The new one probaly only makes changes in the higher TP's and KPA's and leaves the cruising to the o2 sensors under closed loop.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

329.95 for the SEStreet MSRP

The HD site doesn't show 32109-08 anymore but an older 09 SE catalog shows the SEPro as 459.95

Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Gearing more towards making everybody buy a tuner is my thought. They can get EPA standards with the download. I wonder what the cost differnence is between the 2 tuners? The that requires Digital Tech II is probably for California. Like the EX series of PC's, doesn't allow and adjustments in teh cruising ranges. The new one probaly only makes changes in the higher TP's and KPA's and leaves the cruising to the o2 sensors under closed loop.
The new street tuner uses maps just like you used to get from the dealer flashing with the digital technician. From what I've read you can't modify the maps with this new street tuner its pretty much take it or leave it. Myself I'm not buying any more of their snake oil.

Quick Reply: Beware When Buying SE Tuner