Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Super tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Super tuner

this is supposed to be the next best thing going, anyone have experience with one of these they sure are spendy, i was going with powercommander but really diden`t like the idea of having it stuck on my bike, and of course harley says this new super tuner if done right is the way to go they will do either one but they kinda talked me into the tuner what do ya think thanks Bob

Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TTS Mastertune tuning kit is better, the hot ticket for tuning at the moment. The super tuner is a HD product, so the stealer must say nice things about it. Many here have used the HD tuner just fine, the TTS is similar but provides a number of additional very useful features and is more stable for about the same $$$. Read through the TTS thread for more detail.

But if your choice is super tuner or PC, the super tuner is more sophisticated and should provide a better tune if done right. The PC is a piggy back module that many are satified with, but you don't need extra hardware and also take advantage of all the ECU capabilities with the super tuner.

The PC is simple to use and simpler to tune, and is therefore less money in the long run. It does an adequate job for the average bike.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for info, i think i will go with the super tuner, if knothing else i don`t have to have something on my bike,

Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
The TTS Mastertune tuning kit is better, the hot ticket for tuning at the moment. The super tuner is a HD product, so the stealer must say nice things about it. Many here have used the HD tuner just fine, the TTS is similar but provides a number of additional very useful features and is more stable for about the same $$$. Read through the TTS thread for more detail.

But if your choice is super tuner or PC, the super tuner is more sophisticated and should provide a better tune if done right. The PC is a piggy back module that many are satified with, but you don't need extra hardware and also take advantage of all the ECU capabilities with the super tuner.

The PC is simple to use and simpler to tune, and is therefore less money in the long run. It does an adequate job for the average bike.
What do you mean by "more stable"?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hog-doc
What do you mean by "more stable"?
Probability of software crashes, computer lock ups, other "quirks".

I've read that there are some HD tuner users that don't suffer much, if any, and others that are plagued by crashes, which force you to start over.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase

I've read that there are some HD tuner users that don't suffer much, if any, and others that are plagued by crashes, which force you to start over.
Ive tuned a few hundred bikes and never had a SERT/SEST crash or lock up a computer. The only "quirks" the SEST has is sometimes it would not open the reflash page, all you have to do is go back to the tune page then reenter the reflash.

Sounds like words a competitor would use to describe someone elses product.

Just not the case though!!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

I suggest you do some more reading and study before making a flippant statement like that on a forum.

Evidence relatively easy to find if anyone cares to, look for nolan for example... perhaps it just affects the recent HD products?

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-10-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Ive tuned a few hundred bikes and never had a SERT/SEST crash or lock up a computer. The only "quirks" the SEST has is sometimes it would not open the reflash page, all you have to do is go back to the tune page then reenter the reflash.

I've had it lock while recording data. Now if I'm tuning with the SEST I will use TTS to data log. The data logging is so much more user friendly.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Just what kind of gains can one "normally" expect with a good custom SEST tune ? In my example, I have an 09 FLHT with SE intake, V&H slip-ons and stage 1 download.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using the SEST Pro for a while. NEVER had any issue w/it, always performed as I expected it should. I think it's a good product although you may pay a little more since it's an HD product. I recently upgraded to the latest software version that includes smart tune. This is a nice easy to use feature that seems to work well.

Quick Reply: Super tuner