Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

new Vista computer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new Vista computer

My old computer died yesterday & I had to replace it with one that had the Vista OS. Yeah, bad move but it was necessary. Anyway, after I installed the SEST software I can't get it to run. Calibration Quick Sync give the error message "Can't find Sync.xls" and Super Tuner gives the error message "Nolan has stopped working". I've reinstalled it several times with no install problems. Any ideas?
GPM

Old 08-31-2008, 09:53 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you have to run SERT in Compatibility mode...

Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Originally Posted by neonhomer
I think you have to run SERT in Compatibility mode...
I tried that first but it still won't work.
GPM

Old 09-01-2008, 03:13 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not familiar with the SERT, but have you tried a Clean Install? Remove to program with Control Panel Install Uninstall. Then turn off you security programs and reinstall the program.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Originally Posted by ajayrk
I'm not familiar with the SERT, but have you tried a Clean Install? Remove to program with Control Panel Install Uninstall. Then turn off you security programs and reinstall the program.
Thanks for the idea. I've tried reinstalling but not with the security turned off.
GPM

Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Well, I got the Calibration Quick Sync to work by resetting the path (XP uses a different user document storage location naming from Vista) but Nolan & I are still not on speaking terms. My opinion so far is it's not necessarily a Vista problem (not much about it online but that it does happen on XP also). The SEST tuner software seems to be poorly written around specific parameters of the operating system and if they are different in your system, you're out of luck.
GPM

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
wallyn
Road Captain

Sounds like a driver issue. The SERT probably requires a different driver for VISTA.

Which computer did you buy because some OEMs are offering Downgrade discs to load XP onto computers. If I were to buy a computer today that is what I would look at.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Originally Posted by wallyn
Sounds like a driver issue. The SERT probably requires a different driver for VISTA.

Which computer did you buy because some OEMs are offering Downgrade discs to load XP onto computers. If I were to buy a computer today that is what I would look at.
It's a Gateway with the 64 bit Vista & downgradable to 32 bit. I don't think it's a Vista problem anymore cause I took the disk to work today & tried to install it on my XP Pro computer. I got the same "Nolan is not working" error. My IT guy thinks it's a memory address conflict or driver issue. He got it to run on two computers & not run on one other.
GPM

Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't get the SERT to work on my new Vista laptop and I'm convinced it's impossible.
I ended up buying a used IBM Thinkpad on ebay with a good battery for around $50 (which also had a serial port), loaded my old XP operating system on it. Now I have the SERT communicating and I have a computer I don't worry about carrying on the bike for Data mode.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
My old computer died yesterday & I had to replace it with one that had the Vista OS. Yeah, bad move but it was necessary. Anyway, after I installed the SEST software I can't get it to run. Calibration Quick Sync give the error message "Can't find Sync.xls" and Super Tuner gives the error message "Nolan has stopped working". I've reinstalled it several times with no install problems. Any ideas?
GPM
Well, up until your last post where you did some test installs at work... here are the thoughts I had.

First off, my experience with XP 64 bit would steer me away from 64 bit anything unless I had a very specific need. So... you should be legal to run 32, I would go to that before spending too much time setting your system up the way you like it - SERT issues aside.

Second thought - I am pretty sure Microsoft officially dropped support for serial connections in XP. There are lots of serial connections that work in XP, I don't know that I have had any issues... but I'm would not be surprised that more and more issues will come up around serial connections and Vista.
That said, I don't know if SERT is USB or Serial, so maybe I am off track here.
If it is a serial connection, you are probably screwed. I would follow advice above this post.

Another thought, which I think is already mentioned, is driver issues.

Quick Reply: new Vista computer