Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Powering a Nuvi on a Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 AM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powering a Nuvi on a Heritage Softail

Installing a Gilsson power cable to a Ram mount! A minor modification to a Nuvi RAM cradle RAM-HOL-GA25U is needed when using a Gilsson Bare Wire Cable model GUSB-5V-B. This also show how the cable was routed on a Heritage Softail.

Link to photos and description:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Chet0318/RAMNUVIGSPPower#

Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,500 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Nice! A couple of questions:

1) can you show the riders perspective of how it looks? The last pic shows the back of the mount, would like to see how it looks from the riders point of view

2) you ran the wires under the gas tank - did you remove the gas tank, or just run it under? How did you keep the wiring tight under the tank?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 AM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Nice! A couple of questions:

1) can you show the riders perspective of how it looks?
2) you ran the wires under the gas tank - did you remove the gas tank, or just run it under? How did you keep the wiring tight under the tank?
To answer your second question first, no I did not remove the tank. I basically wire tied it to existing wires running under the seat/gas tank. Took a while to find the routing but I was determined NOT to remove the tank. I tried to photograph the routing but it was not easy. It can be done!!

Regarding question 1, how's this? I think I'll add that photo to the Picasa Album, thanks for asking!!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,500 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Great, thanks! I have a Nuvi 350 that I use in my car, to save some $ I might just try to buy a mount for it and wire it up. Its not water proof like the ones designed for motorcycle use, but I just wont use it in the rain.

Does the same mount manufacturer sell power cords for it as well?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCHet
Installing a Gilsson power cable to a Ram mount! A minor modification to a Nuvi RAM cradle RAM-HOL-GA25U is needed when using a Gilsson Bare Wire Cable model GUSB-5V-B. This also show how the cable was routed on a Heritage Softail.

Link to photos and description:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Chet0318/RAMNUVIGSPPower#

Excellent documentation CC! Did you put this in the DIY section too?

Now I also have to ask, what brand are you guys using? And your opinion on that brand. I have been considering the Tom Tom XL335S from Costco, only because their deleting this unit and it only cost $99.00! I doubt it's waterproof, but for $99.00 I don't really care! I have a Magellan Road Mate 800, but it's older and bulkier and the "cool" factor would be out dated..

Last edited by BlockHead96; 02-02-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Nevada Jim
Novice

Great looking job.
I just ordered a Tom Tom and will also use a RAM mount. I have a question.
Do you remove the GPS when riding in the rain?
If yes, do you cover the UBS end of the cable or just leave it exposed?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nevada Jim
Great looking job.
I just ordered a Tom Tom and will also use a RAM mount. I have a question.
Do you remove the GPS when riding in the rain?
If yes, do you cover the UBS end of the cable or just leave it exposed?
So far I have not been in any rain However, I will probably just remove it although I have a plastic bag in the windshield bag to cover it with, just in case I decide I need GPS guidance when it's raining.

With the cable behind the windshield and below the bag, it will probably not get very wet, I'll have to wait and see about that. Thanks for asking!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 PM
rshute4
Tourer
Default RamMounts are the bees knees!

Heres how my Nuvi looks with the RAM Mount. As for rain, I will either put it in the trunk/bags or use a plastic baggie.

Obviously Im not planning on hard wiring the unit to the bike, but i do need to find either a "flat" or thinner type cigarette lighter adapter to keep from dinging the tank.

Attached Thumbnails Powering a Nuvi on a Heritage Softail-dsc02910-1.jpg   Powering a Nuvi on a Heritage Softail-dsc02911-1.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rshute4
Heres how my Nuvi looks with the RAM Mount. As for rain, I will either put it in the trunk/bags or use a plastic baggie.

Obviously Im not planning on hard wiring the unit to the bike, but i do need to find either a "flat" or thinner type cigarette lighter adapter to keep from dinging the tank.

Here's an option for ya.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/383-548

Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Deep6
Cruiser

I just bought the handlebar Ram-mount for $50 shipped from NPI for my new Softail Custom and the bracket for the Tomtom One-130 I picked up a recertified Tomtom One-130 for $69 shipped from Ecost. The mount is well made and doesn't move at all on the bike. Plan to hard wire it to the bike shortly, but for now I'm just using the built in battery. If I change the GPS I can order a new cradle to fit the mount for $10-20. Just could not see paying $600-700 for a "motorcycle" GPS just for the rain proofing. I try not to ride in the rain if I can help it. The GPS pops out of the mount/cradle in seconds and in to the bag if it starts to rain.

Last edited by Deep6; 03-31-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Powering a Nuvi on a Heritage Softail