Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase Breather Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 AM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankcase Breather Kit?

So after riding for an hour or so yesterday, we pulled over to wait for another buddy to meet us and I noticed oil on my exhaust and looked in my AC and saw a slight collection of oil on the bottom of the air filter. I know this has happened to a lot of bikes, so I'm not panicked about it but am curious as to why it happened to mine specifically, as it had never done that before.

A few weeks ago, I switched from a SE stage 1 AC to this:

http://www.figuremachine.com/product...w-vision-5.php

Most of the popping on decel went away, which I was happy with and overall, the bike ran and still runs really well.

Am I correct in thinking that because I increased the amount of air going in, that the extra suction would cause more oil to possibly be sucked out through the breather bolts?

And if so, would an independent breather kit completely eliminate the oil issue or just move it to a different location? I know some oil is somewhat normal due to design.

I don't think Figure Machine has a breather relocation kit, so I would just like to know in case I would need an entirely new AC, which would suck, but I want to do what is best for the bike.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whereabouts on the dipstick is your oil level?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:16 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is best to get the oil out of the intake, by what ever means.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil in Filter............

Originally Posted by JDisME
So after riding for an hour or so yesterday, we pulled over to wait for another buddy to meet us and I noticed oil on my exhaust and looked in my AC and saw a slight collection of oil on the bottom of the air filter. I know this has happened to a lot of bikes, so I'm not panicked about it but am curious as to why it happened to mine specifically, as it had never done that before.

A few weeks ago, I switched from a SE stage 1 AC to this:

http://www.figuremachine.com/product...w-vision-5.php

Most of the popping on decel went away, which I was happy with and overall, the bike ran and still runs really well.

Am I correct in thinking that because I increased the amount of air going in, that the extra suction would cause more oil to possibly be sucked out through the breather bolts?

And if so, would an independent breather kit completely eliminate the oil issue or just move it to a different location? I know some oil is somewhat normal due to design.

I don't think Figure Machine has a breather relocation kit, so I would just like to know in case I would need an entirely new AC, which would suck, but I want to do what is best for the bike.
I have dealt with this issue as well, the HD owners manual states to run 50W oil in ambient temps above 60 degrees and to run 20w/50 when ambient temps are below 60 degrees.
If running 20w/50 in summer months you will get more blow by due to the thinning oil by passing the breather assemblies.

Oil level will have an impact on oil blow by as well if running to much oil, it will puke it out the breather assemblies as well.

It look's like the air intake you purchased still has the banjo bolts and the back plate has the breather passage's which let the engine gasses and oil blow by enter the intake air stream.

Here is how I tackled this, I went with the DK Custums Outlaw Haighflow air intake with the premium breather bypass set up and added an oil catch can.
I also change the oil I was running to the Redline 20w/60 V-Twin motorcycle oil.
This has completely removed all engine gasses from the air intake stream, which is better for the engine anyway and any blow by is captured in the catch can.

Crankcase Breather Kit?-photo-3-636v.jpg

Live Free = Ride Free..........

Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,777 Likes on 11,578 Posts

A lot posted on this. Seem to happen to most after going to open AC. Mine does it even with oil low. I was wiping the drool out of the AC regularly. But, not enough to keep it off the exhaust and my wife. I ordered the remote PCV filter with drool cup from J&P. Expecting delivery today. Hope to get it installed mid this week. I'll post updates after I run it a while.

The J&P is expensive, but I liked the idea of the built in drool cup.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM
JDisME
Tourer

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
A lot posted on this. Seem to happen to most after going to open AC. Mine does it even with oil low. I was wiping the drool out of the AC regularly. But, not enough to keep it off the exhaust and my wife. I ordered the remote PCV filter with drool cup from J&P. Expecting delivery today. Hope to get it installed mid this week. I'll post updates after I run it a while.

The J&P is expensive, but I liked the idea of the built in drool cup.
I've been looking at different set ups and I definitely like the thought of the catch can. I mean look at the options: Oil on the air filter or oil on the bike somewhere......easy choice.

Definitely let us know how the set up works after you've test run it a bit.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Dex07FXD
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the AC and set it up to run external breathers of your choice.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM
JDisME
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dex07FXD
Keep the AC and set it up to run external breathers of your choice.
That's the plan at this point. Just need to find different breather bolts that I can connect the hoses to. The ones currently have nothing on the outside to tap into.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Dex07FXD
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can use banjo fittings and shorter spacers in place of the ones with the Figure kit. That will let you hook up your hoses. Or long breather bolts and no hoses. Look at DK Customs for parts or ideas.

Last edited by Dex07FXD; 09-09-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
JDisME
Tourer

I would "like" to just use the banjos and some spacers, run down to a T or Y and drop down to the ground.

J&P says these will fit: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-616#

so with the long spacers for the A/C I will need a pretty descent spacer to make up the difference.

Once I get that part figured out, the hoses and Y should be simple.

The way my Figure Machine backing plate mounts up, I don't think the DK Customs breather set ups would work.

http://www.figuremachine.com/product...on5/Manual.pdf

Page 2 has the blow up of the assembly.

Quick Reply: Crankcase Breather Kit?