Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Tire Kit issue settled!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
js1268
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Tire Kit issue settled!

I know there've been a bunch of posts surrounding the tire in the WTK as it applies to the existing stock rim, and everyone on this board has been wonderful about providing information, especially 'Tireater'- he knows his schit!

Anyway, here's the following correspondence that took place between me and Dunlop...

Js1268:

Hello there, I currently own a 2007 Harley Davidson Streetbob, and was considering the "Wide tire kit" that Harley offers. I'm looking for the tire here on your website (GT502 180/60B17)...but I can't seem to find it? Is this tire made exclusively for Harley Davidson's wide tire kit? Thanks, and hope to hear from someone, soon.

Dunlop:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your motorcycle tire questions. The Dunlop GT502, in the size 180/60-17, is available exclusively through H-D Parts and Accessories.

Js1268:

Thank you so much for replying to my email!

One more question: So if I should happen upon a flat using this tire, I
would need to replace it with one from the dealership? No other tire
can, or should, be used with the "Wide tire kit?"

Dunlop:

That is correct.

........end of email correspondence.....

now, they (Dunlop) may simply be doing this just because of their partiality to their own brand, but I suspect it's true because of what Tireater posted earlier on the topic ...what pisses me off about it all is when I was corresponding with the service manager at the dealership about the issue (as i was considering doing it) he said that number 1, he doubted harley would ever do anything that would jeopardize the safety of the rider, and 2, that if i ever did get a flat, another 180 tire could be used (which very well is true), but when I asked him about a 180 tire of my choice besides the one in the kit.... he said it can't be done ...Therefore, a few things compel me...

1) No other manufacturer makes this tire size (180/60B17)- that i can find
2) The dealership won't install a different 180 (i.e., Metzeler, etc.) instead of the one that comes with the kit
3) Dunlop does not make the tire available to the end user through any tire vendor (speaks to the tire's uniqueness, in some way)
4) Although Harley- nor any other manufacturer of transportation devices- would ever intentionally do anything to harm its riders, there've been hundreds of instances when tire manufacturers have come up short with proprietary tires (Ford Explorers and bridgestone tires, for example... http://consumerlawpage.com/article/defective_tires.shtm )

in a nutshell.... Reconsider the Wide Tire Kit for your dyna

Old 04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
tireater
Banned
Default RE: Wide Tire Kit issue settled!

Local indy. shop here would NOT put a reg. 180mm sport bike tire on my St. Bob stock HD rim untilI changed the rim (stk. rim too narrow) ...liability....

Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

You don't HAVE to buy the kit, you can just get the tire. They can be difficult to come by, but I found one at Hale HD in Mansfield, Ohio. I suspect that is because they (H-D) prefer you to pay $300 for the kit, rather than $150 for the tire alone. I also got the matching SE front tire (100/90-19).

Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
deuceroadster
Cruiser

js1268,

I hear what you are saying BUT, in all fairness to HD, if in fact no other tire manufacturer make this exact size tire then they probably have a valid point.

I have to disagree with your comparison to the Ford Explorer/Bridgestone situation. In that case, every other tire manufacturer made the size tire in question and it was FORD's recommended air pressure that was mostly to blame for the problems they were having.

I think in this case HD is just covering their backside by telling everyone not to deviate from the specific tire size that comes with the kit. But knowing that you cannot find that tire anywhere else is very critical info.

Just my .02 worth.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:23 PM
js1268
Banned

I hear what you guys are saying, but it still doesn't explain away the fact that you can not buy that tire elsewhere... except through HD... and HD will NOT install any other 180 tire- at customer's expense- on the rear of any Dynas... i mean, it wouldn't be a loss to HD at all.... they'd save a tire for inventory, and simply adjust the price of the kit to correspond with the customers 180 tire of choice

I think HD knows that a standard 180 tire should not be going on a 4.5 inch rim, but have secured a manufacturing deal with Dunlop to develop one... I appreciate that, but at what expense (thinner bead, immediate availability of tire if tire fails, etc.)

Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
tireater
Banned

Got a flat the other day...this could have led to some major downtime if I needed to find a SE 180mm tire and my tire was DAMAGED.
If I was on a road trip or depended on my bike for transportation - this could be a BIG problem....
You only need to buy the "kit" the first time - you won't want to buy the new turn signal bolts or inner struts again...

Old 04-09-2007, 02:51 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

In an emergency, just get a stock 160 and worry about replacing it with another 180 later...

Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
js1268
Banned

I suppose, hd_sob... but that shouldn't be a worry, nor should anyone have to incur the expense of a 160 if a very particular 180 can't be found anywhere, except at a HD dealership

....and forget telling any indy shop to install a 180 on a 4.5 rim, if you happen to be stuck out in Timbuktu

this is the point... purchasing that kit with that tire would create an insecurity for me that I just don't want to deal with.... that's just my opinion

just looking out for all ....=-)

Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I don't understand this conversation....Lots of 180 tires that will fit on your rim.

I guess I am a bit skeptical about factory recomendations on tires. I am a jeeper in my other life and if I or any jeeper for that fact took recomendations like that serious, NOTHING would get done. I would be more inclined to listen to people that actually rode the different sized tires.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

js1268-

The only reason I would have to use the Dunlop on my Bob is because of the laced wheels. All the other 180s I have seen are tubless radials. If you don't have spokes, dunno why you couldn't use something else (Metz, for example)...

Quick Reply: Wide Tire Kit issue settled!