Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RINEHART END CAPS TURN GREY

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 AM
vze4gqv6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RINEHART END CAPS TURN GREY

I have a set of Rinehart Slip ons on my Superglide, the front Black end cap turned from a dark black to a greyish color.I called BUB and they sent mea new one. The new one turned grey, I took my Bike to HD and had the head temps check and they were identical and running correct. I called BUB a second time and they somewhat admitted this was a problem w/slipons on Dynas. Has anyone else had this problem.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 PM
vze4gqv6
Intermediate
Default RE: RINEHART END CAPS TURN GREY

any solutions to remake the end cap to black

Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one cap that has turned a maroon color. Actually got asked about itat the dealership last week. I pulled in and parked next to a Black Cherry Pearl Street Glide w/ Rinehart Pipes. He asked about the end cap, and commented that it was the same color as his bike. I offered to trade it for one of his black ones, with the promise that I'd switch that one out in about 6 months for the other black one. Seemed like a simple enough solution, I get a years supply of Rinehart end caps..... he gets "custom" Rinehart end caps to match his bike. Hmmm... maybe I should switch the two I have and once they are a matching shade, offer them up on ebay. Make a pretty chunk of change.

It is good to know that I'm not the only one with the discoloration problem. I figured it had something to do with heat from the top pipe.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 PM
vze4gqv6
Intermediate

thanks, that is the exact answer about the top pipe that Bub gave me.
Thanks

Old 04-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Cabo
Road Captain

Yeah I got the same problem with my 06 ST Bob.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The end caps are anodized, and this has been an ongoing issue with Rinehart end caps for many years now. Usually turn to a rose or marroon color, but have seen them grey, and also almost an orange.

Bub is very good about replacing them. They should just give up on the black and put the chrome ends on the pipes.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:45 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine turnedorange...

Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
arkieollie
Tourer

Mine are still black. About how many miles on the bike did it start to happen?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At about 1800 miles. It was on the first "long" trip I took (200 miles) - there wasn't any difference when I left that morning, but apparently the heat had to have time to work it's magic, and by the time I got home it was definitely different (check my photo album). I just rolled 5K this past weekend and at least it's stabilized. I did contact Rinehart and they've started the review process to determine whether it's warrantied - my general impression from others I've talked to about it is that they'll square up on it pretty quickly.

I talked with a custom pipe maker in AZ last week and according to him the reason that the tips change is that the anodizing that Rinehart uses is based on an inorganic compound - there is apparently a more expensive compound that is organically based that has a higher heat tolerance and won't change. I dunno, I'm not a metallurgist or a chemist, but it would seem to me that if Rinehart is replacing a lot of these under warranty there's got to be a break even point where it might be better to go with the higher priced manufacturing process - if even just for customer relations. I wouldn't likely go out of my way to buy the black-tips again based on my "first" experience with them.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
vze4gqv6
Intermediate

Bub (Rinehart)will replace them, but the replacements will change color also, my replacement changed color within a week.