Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in fuel, killed the fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,586 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Water in fuel, killed the fuel pump.

Long story short I got gas Monday leaving work as I was running pretty low and my low fuel light was on saying low rng. So I fill up, pull out of the parking lot up to the next stop light and my bike starts running terrible! Spitting and sputtering, NO power. So I limp home. Reflash with the stock tune, same results little worse, dies if I let it idle. Take it into the local dealership. Show them now that the fuel pump makes an awful squeal when priming, and runs terrible. hr or two after I drop it off I get a call saying yes the fuel pump is bad (I was expecting that) and I have water in my tank. They said my tank was 1/3 full of water! like W-T-F! So since the water in the tank isnt a warranty issue they charged me an hr for removal of the tank and lines to drain and clean. Fuel pump and related items were replaced under warranty no questions asked.

I plan to take my service bill, and card statement from when I bought that tank of gas to the gas station requesting reimbursement for the Hr of labor ($85) and the tank of gas ($13). Think I'll get my $$ back?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

You are certainly not going to be the only victim of pumping contaminated gas at that station...you might have to check around and find a couple of other folks who got some of that stuff also...

Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

I would immediately pump from same station and pump you used and put in a gal or 2 gas can. Show can to clerk and make proof it was from there. This way you can test it and show they had contaminated fuel. Otherwise unless you have a dated receipt with close to your filling capacity and time filled to when taken to dealer will be hard to prove. I bet you arrived just after they got filled from tanker or they have ground water contamination. Did it rain real hard prior to filling? At least it didn't cause more damage than it did. Surprised it would take pump out so quickly. If I see tanker near station I always move on to the next.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,038 Likes on 4,224 Posts

I bet they will just give you the old puzzled look and if pushed going to say it was someone else. Lot of problems with your story. Little water would not hurt pump. Harley would never run with the tank 1/3 full. So dealer is full of crap or way off in his translation. Even that is not going to hurt pump. It's just an impeller. However it is cooled by the fluid and it goes right up thru it. It will run with a very small amount and like you say, it will not idle. Happened to me. I spent 2 weeks trying to figure it out. Just quit idling. Long as I gave it a little throttle, it would run. Had checked everything in my diagnostic manual. After the second tank of 10% ethanol gas (all we have), it cleared up. Gas dry is nothing but ethanol. Anyway, about the time it cleared up, I was in the area of the gas fill two weeks ago. Station had two new tanks going in. I pulled in and ask them what was going on. They told me they replaced tanks at certain time and that it was required by the city. Just my two cent. Hope they do give you your money however..for sure.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, I don't dispute that a little water in the fuel could have caused these symptoms, but I agree your workshop is wildly exaggerating claiming 1/3rd water. Your engine would vapour lock, basically destroy itself & not run at all. Also, like Ripsaw said, the pump isn't likely to get damaged merely by running in water. Your injectors are far more likely to pick up damage because fuel is what lubricates them.

Anyways, glad you're back on the road!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:17 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You were at the bottom of the tank and there must of been crap and water waiting to get sucked up.
Not good to let the gas get that low.
You must of been getting bad gas right along and didn't feel it till you were at the bottom of the tank.
1/3 of a tank is a bit far fetched. They don't call them stealers for nothing.
I would change gas stations and get the super. Mix it up, Shell V-power is good.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they only charged you for an hour of labor? that's $80,, WTH are you crying about? how much is a fuel pump? $400? you got off easy. If anything complain to Obama since he's the one that bought us ethanol (Obama-Gas) that is known to collect water & ruin fuel pumps. THE AMA has even sent out a press release stating that Obama-Gas is junk.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...mages-engines/

they say that only 10% is okay for motorcycles , 15% will cause damage, but the truth is it's all junk.

http://www.aimag.com/2012/12/epa-bac...r-motorcycles/

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 08-22-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
they only charged you for an hour of labor? that's $80,, WTH are you crying about? how much is a fuel pump? $400? you got off easy. If anything complain to Obama since he's the one that bought us ethanol (Obama-Gas) that is known to collect water & ruin fuel pumps. THE AMA has even sent out a press release stating that Obama-Gas is junk.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...mages-engines/

they say that only 10% is okay for motorcycles , 15% will cause damage, but the truth is it's all junk.

http://www.aimag.com/2012/12/epa-bac...r-motorcycles/
You're kidding us, right? Obama invented ethanol fuel and forced it on US drivers?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

I thought he invented the internet too!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,038 Likes on 4,224 Posts

To keep all straight..
The pickup screen is at the bottom, so little difference what level is in tank since water goes to the bottom. You truly ought to keep tank half full so you do not forget and run out. These bikes are a bitch to push and could get you killed running out with a cager up your *** at 70 mph these days.
The dealer screwed the mother company for fuel pump service under warranty.
Probably pretty fair price for sucking the tank and refill. A hose to siphon it out and a fresh tank of fuel and the correct amount of gas dry would have fixed it however.
Nothing wrong with 10% ethanol. All we have had it here for 20 years. Of course it's fair game to blame on for the tin men to sale their wares.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-22-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Water in fuel, killed the fuel pump.