Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand, attached diagram, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 AM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand, attached diagram, help

So I can't wrap my around how the jiffy stand is mounted. I bought a 1 inch shorter and want to swap it out. I've attached the explode view diagram and I can't tell if I simply remove the spring and the pin or is there more to it.

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to have someone sit on the bike while I do this so I don't want to spend an hour doing it. The person holding the bike has ADD so I have maybe 15 minutes max,lol

Attached Thumbnails Jiffy Stand, attached diagram, help-jiffystand.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM
HeelDragger
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I changed my jiffy stand 2 days ago on my new 2014 Low Rider. It took more time to jack up the bike than to do the change.
You have to remove the pivot block from the old stand and install it on new one. Just make note
of how it goes back on. Don't install upside down. Don't ask me how I know.Replacing the spring is tough but I used a
method I learned from the smart guys in the Sportster Forum. I wedged about 5 quarters between the spring coils to make it longer
and then hung it on the stand and frame as indicated in the manual.Once installed, just pull quarters out with a pair of pliers.
Simple trick, saved a lot of muscle and cursing.

As per service Manual:

Removal

Remove Pretzel clip(12) and washer(11) from Pin(16). Discard Pretzel clip.
Detach Spring(14) from jiffy stand and anchor plate(17).
Pull pin(16) from between frame tubes. Jiffy stand and pivot block components will drop as an assembly.

Installation

Place pivot block (10) and jiffy stand leg(13) assembly between frame tubes.
Insert pin(16) from front of vehicle through frame tubes and pivot block. Secure with washer and a new Pretzel clip(12)
Attach spring(14) to anchor plate(17) and jiffy stand leg. When properly installed, hook on spring side connected to jiffy stand leg faces upward.
Apply ANTI-SEIZE Lubricant on shaft pf jiffy stand leg and pin to lubricate the mating surface between pin and pivot block.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
getblended
Advanced

Not sure how to instruct you, but there is a type of slot and you just have to fit it in there. The spring is the hardest part. The spring will actually help to guide it into the correct position. It doesn't look right that's for sure, but it will be. Take a picture of your stock one both in the up and down positions before you take it off.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 AM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser

ok what threw me off is I see #15 (screw) and the end of the jiffy stand is threaded. So by the looks of this I though I actually had to get a wrench in there.

A new pretzel clip huh? Dare I use the old one? (bike is new) knowing my local dealer they will need to order one and it will take 5-7 days.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

There is a really good, free video of this on FixMyHog. Makes the spring removal easy.

http://www.fixmyhog.com/video/harley...ng-r-r-005101/

Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

here are some close ups, just installed mine this weekend... all you have to do is lift the back end, from there remove the bolt holding it in, then remove the kick stand (slides out) for install i like to hook up the kick stand to the spring then move the spring around the peg stay off the frame. you can see my spring in here as i powder coated it gold some years ago and never changed it

1" shorter on left (freshly coated), stock stand on the right with a shaved mount tab

Old 08-18-2014, 04:23 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser

So you did take off the bolt (not a pin and pretzel clip) ?
from your pics it looks like that one bolt and then it comes out. Then slide new one in and tighten the bolt back in ??

if thats the case, the problem is getting to that bolt.