Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in reach and throw between bar styles

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:42 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Difference in reach and throw between bar styles

I'm sure this has been discussed but a search led to incredibly varied results...

I'm relatively short, 5'7" on a 2014 Street Bob. The stock mini apes seem to work just fine but I do notice that when I'm practicing low speed maneuvers that I can't quite reach far enough to turn the bars completely, I really have to stretch my shoulders. I'm very happy with the body position afforded by my C&C seat and slightly forward mid controls so I don't want to move myself closer to the bars (nor do I think it would make too much of a difference).

I'm wondering if when I start to look at new bars I should be considering a different style altogether (although I really like the look of the narrow Outlaws, and some others in 12").

Can I simply rotate the bars a little closer to me without affecting anything?

Any suggestions on bars along with what I can do currently would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'9 and I've been thinking along the same lines.

I also have a 2014 Street Bob and before I had the forward controls put on, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to comfortably reach the pegs without a ton of slouching and sacrifice to handlebar comfort and would have to rotate them in a bit. Needless to say, I've been fine on it once I adjust my seat position a bit.

Not to get too far off topic here, I have been considering rotating the bars just slightly towards me until I get new bars. I don't think it would effect too much on the bike. Just make sure all the cables are not binding anywhere.

Should be fine.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, I was thinking on the same lines of rotating the bars towards me a bit but I'm also on the hunt for winter projects and bars are one of them!

Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotating fwd slightly shouldn't hurt anything. For what it's worth, when looking for new bars the thing you need to really consider is pullback. I bought 11" mini apes which are roughly the size of the stock bars but not near as comfortable because they don't pull back as much. If I pull the whole bar back it doesn't look as cool, lol

I'd check with wild1inc.com and they really explain it all and have some good options and great quality bars. If I don't get used to these then I may go back to my wild1 knucklebars (not apes) or go with one of their style apes.

The bars I have now are these and I'm really trying to like them.
And wow! what a PITA running wires thru these with 2 very sharp turns.

https://www.denniskirk.com/dk/produc...x/dk598636.jpg

Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks I'll look in to wild1 along with adjusting the bars a bit today. I was surprised that I really like the feel as well as looks of Apes (at least the shorter ones) but want what works for me performance wise as well.