Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Jimbo33
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install Smart Security System

I made the mistake of not ordering my 2014 Low Rider with the security system and I am looking to add it now. The dealer gets full retail at $360 but it can be bought online for under $300. The Harley web site says it must be installed by a dealer. Is this true? If I have the dealer install it I will have to buy it from him and the total cost will be high. The security system (41000087B) appears to be a simple plug in module.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is the module that the Smart Security System replaces easy to get at? Where is it located? Would an alternative be to buy the system online and have a local independent shop install it?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 AM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get one either but I didn't see much benefit to be honest. Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't it just shut off fuel? It prevents theft only if someone wants to ride it away after breaking the fork lock & hotwires it?

Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought my Street Bob used. Came with the HD security system installed (proximity key fob). I chose to remove the system and sold it on this forum. You replace your TSM (turn signal module) with the new TSSM (turn signal SECURITY module). It is located on the left side of the bike in the fuse case if I remember correctly. It takes less than a minute to install. You simply unplug the old and replace with the new. Route the antenna under the seat and your good.

HOWEVER, what takes a while is mating the new TSSM to your ECM. There is a a write-up on this forum how to do it.

Here's the jist of it:
Theres a sequence of turning the key and flashing turn signals. I don't remember what it is but once you do that you leave the key in the "ON" position with the bike not running and set a timer for 10 min. At the 10 min mark, a light will flash on the dash and you turn the key off then on again. Wait another 10 min, then do same thing, wait ANOTHER 10 min and then complete the sequence. New module will be synced to ECM.

This same sequence has to be followed to remove security as well.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...roceedure.html

I sold my unit and key fob for $100. Look on ebay you might be able to pick one up.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been wanting to do this as well. I was able to do it with my softail with the old TSSM and old style button fob.
My 2014 lowrider has a BCM(not TSSM)different module but same function, so I'm hoping the procedure to marry it to the bike will be the same?

Old 01-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Dark_Flight
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CACruiserHD
I didn't get one either but I didn't see much benefit to be honest. Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't it just shut off fuel? It prevents theft only if someone wants to ride it away after breaking the fork lock & hotwires it?
Having only the stock fork/ignition lock as security is pointless. The keys used on Harleys are called Ace locks and they are the least secure type of key out there. A picking tool can be bought online for less than $70 that is so easy to use, no experience is required (originally created for use by locksmiths but if you were stealing a Harley, wouldn't you buy one?). The ignition (and saddlebags too unfortunately) can be picked in literally under 5 seconds. I've tried it.
It would literally take a thief more effort to overcome a bicycle cable lock on your front wheel.
So, an electronic security system is definitely worth something.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by WMX124
I bought my Street Bob used. Came with the HD security system installed (proximity key fob). I chose to remove the system and sold it on this forum. You replace your TSM (turn signal module) with the new TSSM (turn signal SECURITY module). It is located on the left side of the bike in the fuse case if I remember correctly. It takes less than a minute to install. You simply unplug the old and replace with the new. Route the antenna under the seat and your good.

HOWEVER, what takes a while is mating the new TSSM to your ECM. There is a a write-up on this forum how to do it.

Here's the jist of it:
Theres a sequence of turning the key and flashing turn signals. I don't remember what it is but once you do that you leave the key in the "ON" position with the bike not running and set a timer for 10 min. At the 10 min mark, a light will flash on the dash and you turn the key off then on again. Wait another 10 min, then do same thing, wait ANOTHER 10 min and then complete the sequence. New module will be synced to ECM.

This same sequence has to be followed to remove security as well.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...roceedure.html

I sold my unit and key fob for $100. Look on ebay you might be able to pick one up.
not the same process anymore

Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CACruiserHD
Love mine.. the fact that I never have to take my keys out of my pocket is nice. Just sit and go...! No fumbling around.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 PM
cvaria
Supporter

i just did the kit about a mount ago. paid 150 on ebay for a spanking new kit. paid dealer 90 flat to install after giving up on DIY.
  1. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...m-install.html
  2. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14550987

full kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...item280f21db86
i tried to DIY. frustrating and not worth the stress. the pairing can be done at home, but you'll need to roll to the dealer for fobs.... it's bs and not cool for hd to do that, but that's where S*** is.

listen for chirps when bike is turned on and off. the alarm will go off if jostled, moved, or uprighted.

i would do it. it's great not having to key your bike. just have the fob on you and you are good

c'mon man

Last edited by cvaria; 01-31-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:17 PM
billrobbins4
2nd Gear
Default I put the smart security system on my 2016 V Rod Muscle

It's not working. I put it on with siren and nothing . The bike starts and runs like I didn't do anything to it. No chirp fro alarm, nothing. Help please ! I don't know how to get it working

Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by billrobbins4
It's not working. I put it on with siren and nothing . The bike starts and runs like I didn't do anything to it. No chirp fro alarm, nothing. Help please ! I don't know how to get it working
take to dealer for activation. they will probably do it free

Quick Reply: Install Smart Security System