Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium fuel quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
BlueBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium fuel quality

I dont have a problem buying premium fuel for my Bob as it gets 50+mpg but I do have a problem with fuel quality issues.
With the price of gas these days who is going to buy premium fuel? Who knows how long it has been sitting around losing its octane. I thinkI/we might be better off using 87 knowing it is fresh.
What is the compression ratio of these beasts? I need to know in terms of 10:1, 11:1 and so on.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Premium fuel quality

If the station your useing dosent have a dedicated hose for High Test, your pumping 1 gallon or more of what ever the last person pumped anyhow. I use a station that has seperate hoses. And I'll pay for the 93... regardless .....

Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
someday69
Advanced

maybe just buy'in some otane boost at the local auto store/wal-mart,,,,and just put it in the regular,,,,I ride a 02fxd,with a 95" build re-worked heads/bigger valve's kept the compression low at around 9.6-1....but I always run regular...only thing I use is a coulple oz.'s of atf in my fuel every other tank full...

Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Trotter

If the station your useing dosent have a dedicated hose for High Test, your pumping 1 gallon or more of what ever the last person pumped anyhow. I use a station that has seperate hoses. And I'll pay for the 93... regardless .....
dude, you are wayyy off on your measurments. At worst there is just a couple oz's. This has been kicked around a LOT on other boards, and possibly even this one.
A different board i go to has a lot of guys that have careers in fuel, in some fashion or another. The calculation we came up with put 93 octane at 92.8 or something like that. I can't remember the calc they used.
The bottom line is the impact of the previous octane is so insignificant that its not worth losing sleep over it (or stressing out while looking for the perfect pump station).

as far as the OP, I wouldn't be that concerned about this either. There are lots of cars out there engineered for high octane, just like our bikes. and the cars run like sch!t when you put lower octane in them (my buddy's Suburu for example) That gas gets used up. Keepin mind, the station owner isn't going to buy a surplus of product he can't sell quickly.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Helix
Tourer

Dude You must have the ONLY Bob on the planet that gets 50+ mpg! I get at the max 40 mpgand thats treating it like a baby. i have over 5K miles on itand Non- Stage 1.I get EXACTLY 176 miles from full to bone dry.I know because Ive ran out of gas at 176 Miles on the tank thinking I could get atleast 200 miles on a 4.8 Gal tank. I find it hard to believe your getting 50+....................

Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
tireater
Banned

I get no more than 40 and always try to find a hose that has been putting out premium when filling up...

Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Helix

Dude You must have the ONLY Bob on the planet that gets 50+ mpg! I get at the max 40 mpgand thats treating it like a baby. i have over 5K miles on itand Non- Stage 1.I get EXACTLY 176 miles from full to bone dry.I know because Ive ran out of gas at 176 Miles on the tank thinking I could get atleast 200 miles on a 4.8 Gal tank. I find it hard to believe your getting 50+....................
I'm elated when mine gets38 MPG (average is 35)and it runs like **** on 87 octane...

Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Trotter
Banned

There's a shell and a Exxon at the end of the Block . I use the Exxon with a seperate Hose for 93, It never Pings. When I use the Shell (Which my neighbor Ownes) with one hose for all It has Pinged ,Knocked, Could be the Shell Gas or the cheap gas they get. My preferance is I just use what works. I filled my bike today with 93 for a whopping 8.67 instead of 8.07 for that little I'll use 93.My Neighbor said when he changes the seals on the pump it usually holds about a gallon in the pump that he has to drain to change the seals of whatever was used last. He could be full of Sh**.. But 4 gallons of 93 aint gonna breakme. If I had to travel to find a station with seperate hoses I'd runwhatever came Out without a worry, Just hate that pinging under some loads. I also Average 35 38 sometimes.. 50 MPG ?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Trotter
Banned

ORIGINAL: tireater

I get no more than 40 and always try to find a hose that has been putting out premium when filling up...
How the Hell do you get 40 burning up all those tires LOL Trotter

Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get around 45-51 on a carbed 05 Wide Glide and my wife is riding a 06 Low Rider that she gets anywhere from 51-54 mpgs. We always run 92 or 93 octane. I think my wife gets better mileage due to the FI and she rides alot easier..........

Quick Reply: Premium fuel quality