Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium fuel quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Premium fuel quality

ORIGINAL: BlueBob

Back to the original question,,,It's old stagnate fuel that worries me. I was just ask'in around if anyone is having problems with fuel quality because no one buys premium. Afraid that the premium sitting around would do more harm than good.
Do stations rotate fuel or do additives to keep it fresh if it is not selling?
Actually - the concern over using fresh fuel is valid. As of last year (maybe the year before) gov't mandates on additives have eliminated MBTE and replaced it with ethanol (%10). Now the additives absorb some water, but one bad side of gas with ethanol in it is that if it sits too long, the ethanol and water will separate. That's when the real problems start. Ethanol is not particularly good for small black rubbery parts in carbs - but that's another story.

Now - that being said - if you go to a station that does a good volume, I'd guess that they are running thru 93 octane at a pretty decent clip. More cars require it these days.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I always by high octane from a high volume station because chances are they move more of it and have to replenish it more often. I try not to buy high octane at some small, rural, farmtown, just keep a 12oz bottle of O'Rielly's octane booster at $2.99 packed just in case.

From what I understand from some petroleum company reps at some EFI schools I've attended, if your bike, or any otherengine, does not pingusing a lower octane fuel, there is no advantage to using ahigher octane. High octane only has antiping and preignitionadditives, its burn rate, BTUs, power,mileage,etc are otherwisethe same.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

and back to the original question, I don't think you should have much of a concern because the owner of the station probably orders shorter quantities of premium if he doesn't sell a bunch of it, so time-wise, it probably isn't in the ground much longer than the full tank of regular. I used to own a mobil station and that is what I did. He has to pay for it and doesn't want his money sitting in the ground any longer than necessary. Also, for what we pay for these scoots, running regular is NOT agood thing to do. I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and an ASE certified master auto tech and know a bit about what I'm saying. If you read your owner's manual it also says to run at least 91 octane or higher fuel. Was it worth it if you do damage to your engine because of a few pennies at the pump? Think about it---just trying to help----jack

Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
BlueBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaxdwg

and back to the original question, I don't think you should have much of a concern because the owner of the station probably orders shorter quantities of premium if he doesn't sell a bunch of it, so time-wise, it probably isn't in the ground much longer than the full tank of regular. I used to own a mobil station and that is what I did. He has to pay for it and doesn't want his money sitting in the ground any longer than necessary. Also, for what we pay for these scoots, running regular is NOT agood thing to do. I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and an ASE certified master auto tech and know a bit about what I'm saying. If you read your owner's manual it also says to run at least 91 octane or higher fuel. Was it worth it if you do damage to your engine because of a few pennies at the pump? Think about it---just trying to help----jack
Thanks Jack, I allways run premium as much as possible.
If mom and pop stations have it I shy away and use the ever popular 87 but just enough to get by.
Ok,,,,,so this subject has been beat to death, so how come when I change engine oil and put in 3 quarts as reccomended and check on a jiffy stand it shows I'am overfull by 1/2 qt?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
SpeedMK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlueBob

I dont have a problem buying premium fuel for my Bob as it gets 50+mpg but I do have a problem with fuel quality issues.
With the price of gas these days who is going to buy premium fuel? Who knows how long it has been sitting around losing its octane. I thinkI/we might be better off using 87 knowing it is fresh.
What is the compression ratio of these beasts? I need to know in terms of 10:1, 11:1 and so on.
Burning fuel that is non-oxy is the important point. Straight gas has a much longer life, provides more energy, and doesn't corrode like ethanol.

I run straight gas, 91 octane, in all my toys. It's worth every penny. I'ts the best thing to have in the tank for any type of summer or winter storage.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SpeedMK

Burning fuel that is non-oxy is the important point. Straight gas has a much longer life, provides more energy, and doesn't corrode like ethanol.

I run straight gas, 91 octane, in all my toys. It's worth every penny. I'ts the best thing to have in the tank for any type of summer or winter storage.

Speed -

Where can you get gas that does not have an ethanol mix?