Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium fuel quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:00 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Premium fuel quality

I've got an 02 wide glide and I get 50 mpg regularly. It has the K&N air filter and half the baffles removed and has 72,000 on it. It is carbed and all I've done to the carb is go up one pilot jet size to get rid of the carb farts. My buddy's wife is about 5'1" and weighs about 100 lbs and rides a super glide, 05, injected,and gets about 60 mpg but really rides like an old grandma so that doesn't really count---jack

Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 PM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's it then, the Wide Glides get the best mileage.........just another reason to buy a Wide Glide........[sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 PM
BlueBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Helix

Dude You must have the ONLY Bob on the planet that gets 50+ mpg! I get at the max 40 mpgand thats treating it like a baby. i have over 5K miles on itand Non- Stage 1.I get EXACTLY 176 miles from full to bone dry.I know because Ive ran out of gas at 176 Miles on the tank thinking I could get atleast 200 miles on a 4.8 Gal tank. I find it hard to believe your getting 50+....................
Actually when I filled it up last Sunday I got 57.3 mpg!
This is cruising 2 laners with lots of stop and go. This is thefirst time I checked mileage in the 700 miles it has on it,
hope it wasn't a fluke. Summer has just began. Wonder what it would get cruising the highway at 70/80mph?
Maybe its the Samson pipes and K&N filter setup??

Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
BlueBob
Cruiser

Hey I dont have a problem buying premium its the quality I worry about. I have ask the local stations how much premium they sell and the answer so far is little to none.
I have been told to make 89 they mix 87 and 93 together so this may help in quality if it is a fact.
Sounds like some of you can tell the difference in performance an pinging sounds [detonation], has anyone ever burnt a piston over fuel issues?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

from full to bone dry i only get about 130 miles if im lucky and thats if im easy on the throttle. in most cases not so i get prolly 25mgp. oh well im having fun.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Helix

Dude You must have the ONLY Bob on the planet that gets 50+ mpg! I get at the max 40 mpgand thats treating it like a baby. i have over 5K miles on itand Non- Stage 1.I get EXACTLY 176 miles from full to bone dry.I know because Ive ran out of gas at 176 Miles on the tank thinking I could get atleast 200 miles on a 4.8 Gal tank. I find it hard to believe your getting 50+....................
An 07 Dyna is rated at 53 highway, right.
My 06 is rated at 50 highway. On one trip last summer, I filled the tank at 210 miles (trouble finding a station in the boonies), tank took 4.2 gallons filled to the tippy top (as I always fill it).
Do the math.............. 50 mpg.
I do not ride easy, on the best of days, so I would say if he isn't getting at least 50 mpg on a road trip, something is wrong, no matter how hard or easy he rides.
Now, if you are in town, lots of sitting idling and stop/go traffic, then 176 miles on a tank is doing pretty good.
My Dyna averages 49-50.5 mpg on the open mountain roads. Probably more like 40-44 mpg around town.
I run 92-94 octane fuel, always.
I would only run 89 octane in a pinch, and 87 octane in a fuel emergency (empty).

High octane fuel burns cooler, and slower.

My .02

DougJ (not Bob)

Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
surveyor
Cruiser

Do not know how youall are getting 50+ miles per gallon. Since I purchased my bike in late december 06 is has averaged 32mpg. Sounds like some fuzzy math to me lol.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not know how youall are getting 50+ miles per gallon. Since I purchased my bike in late december 06 is has averaged 32mpg.
Don't feel bad, I've never got over 40mpg on any bike I've ever owned. Believe it or not I've actually owned a Suzuki car that got better milage than my Suzuki bike.Depends allot on how you ride and your size, my wife always manages to get around 50mpg but she weighs 60-70 lbs less than me and rides much more conservatively.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my wife and I were getting around 35-39 when the bikes were new. After 2000-3000 miles the mileage just got better............I have 16000 now and it seems to always be close to the same. I always fill up when I have 200 miles on the trip meter and the wife does the same.....

Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Trotter

There's a shell and a Exxon at the end of the Block . I use the Exxon with a seperate Hose for 93, It never Pings. When I use the Shell (Which my neighbor Ownes) with one hose for all It has Pinged ,Knocked, Could be the Shell Gas or the cheap gas they get. My preferance is I just use what works. I filled my bike today with 93 for a whopping 8.67 instead of 8.07 for that little I'll use 93.My Neighbor said when he changes the seals on the pump it usually holds about a gallon in the pump that he has to drain to change the seals of whatever was used last. He could be full of Sh**.. But 4 gallons of 93 aint gonna breakme. If I had to travel to find a station with seperate hoses I'd runwhatever came Out without a worry, Just hate that pinging under some loads. I also Average 35 38 sometimes.. 50 MPG ?
it is my understanding that there are three separate lines inside that thick hose we see, maybe even more (like a breather line or something). i'm sure your neighbor gets a gallon or whatever, but its a mix of the three blends coming out.

Anyway - I am not arguing that 93 should go in the tank, and if three hose stations are nearby, thats great.... I'm just saying when you buy two gallons of premium from a single hose pump, you are getting mostly premium, it isn't 50/50. As for different stations providing different performance, I agree, they are different. I always try to put Chevron in my tank

Since this went from an octane thread to a MPG thread - my wide glide gets between 40 and 48 depending on how and where I am riding. thats with a 95" stage I with PCIII tuner

Quick Reply: Premium fuel quality