Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FXDC Mileage Expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Siberian Khatru
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 FXDC Mileage Expectations?

I have a 2012 Super Glide FDXC near stock (Sundowner Seat, Engine Guard, Sissy bar and luggage rack). It currently has 8750 miles on it and it has had all the rewquired maintenance done using synthetic oils. I have had both wheel bearings replaced (dealer covered that as "unexpected") and it has new (same as stock) tires. I am not overweight at 205 pounds and neither is my occasional passenger who is 150 pounds. My questions then are:

1. Assuming I keep the maintenance up as prescribed and don't drive the thing like Evel Knievel how many miles would you think I could get before having anything major to do on the engine (primarily) or any of the rest of the bike?

2. Is installing aftermarket antilock brakes difficult on this model, or even possible? That's about the only change I think I need (safety is a good upgrade IMHO) as I pretty much love the way the bike runs/feels right now otherwise.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of folks with lots of miles on the TC without any major work, if I recall some of the forum are over 150,000. I was talking to a fairly experienced Indy mechanic the other day about top end work, and he asked me when I was planning on doing it. I told him I figured I would do it when the engine needed a top end. He said "You will be waiting a while". Then again, others have had crank run out issues and other problems that cut the miles significantly.

No idea about anti lock.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Siberian Khatru
Novice

There's an article (linked below) where this guy is ripping Harley V-Twin engine designs. This is my first Harley after having owned Yamaha bikes. I always thought they were supposed to have pretty decent engines. I figure this is just another Harley basher at some level, but I guess I am curious if there are any shreds of truth there in current V-Twin design or otherwise things I need to make sure I tend to in order to avoid issues.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to consider mods that keeps the engine temp down, that would increase the life of the engine. Stage1 , Oil Cooler, or cooling fans for the engines , depending how you use the bike.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Article has been posted here before. Lots of folks have 100,000 miles plus on their TC's without many issues. Trust the article or trust the miles .

Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Siberian Khatru
Novice

Originally Posted by overhead
Article has been posted here before. Lots of folks have 100,000 miles plus on their TC's without many issues. Trust the article or trust the miles .
I figure that if Harley was turning out absolute ****, they would be out of business no matter how much "brand loyalty" there was to start with. So I tend to believe the miles myself. Still, a little back checking never hurts