Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your pics of Dyna's with fairings on them

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question for those with a "batwing" fairing on their Wide Glide - does this do ANYTHING at all to help with wind that is coming up from around the SIDES of the tank then up into my face?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Originally Posted by June Bug
Question for those with a "batwing" fairing on their Wide Glide - does this do ANYTHING at all to help with wind that is coming up from around the SIDES of the tank then up into my face?
It does change the over all flow so that there is LESS turbulence from upward air. Adding fork
deflectors or possibly the underside fairing deflectors will greatly reduce the remaining turbulence.
I've removed my fork deflectors while I try out the underside deflectors but I can't get a calm
enough day to really tell if the turbulence is from gusty air or that the fairing deflectors by
themselves aren't enough.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
It does change the over all flow so that there is LESS turbulence from upward air. Adding fork
deflectors or possibly the underside fairing deflectors will greatly reduce the remaining turbulence.
I've removed my fork deflectors while I try out the underside deflectors but I can't get a calm
enough day to really tell if the turbulence is from gusty air or that the fairing deflectors by
themselves aren't enough.
Thanks for the info! I don't mind some wind - in fact I LIKE some. What I am getting is not buffeting, but just TOO much wind coming up in my face. So my husband suggested a fairing. I just haven't been convinced it will cut down the wind from where I am getting it from. But it sounds like it will cut it down somewhat. That's all I am looking to do, not get rid of it totally. I do suspect the underside fairing deflectors might help. I have had the fork lowers on other bikes and it hasn't helped the particular problem all that much.

Definitely something to think about. Maybe I'll take my Wide Glide in a whole new direction. It's a 2012, but I just got it a couple months ago (with 800 miles on it).

Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Originally Posted by June Bug
Thanks for the info! I don't mind some wind - in fact I LIKE some. What I am getting is not buffeting, but just TOO much wind coming up in my face. So my husband suggested a fairing. I just haven't been convinced it will cut down the wind from where I am getting it from. But it sounds like it will cut it down somewhat. That's all I am looking to do, not get rid of it totally. I do suspect the underside fairing deflectors might help. I have had the fork lowers on other bikes and it hasn't helped the particular problem all that much.

Definitely something to think about. Maybe I'll take my Wide Glide in a whole new direction. It's a 2012, but I just got it a couple months ago (with 800 miles on it).
My batwing still allows really good airflow with almost all the turbulence from the UPPER
slipstream removed. I live in the Southwest where serious crosswinds are common from
February through June so I'm playing around quite a bit. In relatively calm air I think the
underside deflectors may be all that I need, but I'll be damned if I've had a calm enough
day to find out. I had the fork deflectors with a normal HD quick release windshield where
they really made a difference and just stuck with them out of habit. I'd like to get rid of
them if possible so I added the underside deflectors a couple months ago.

My bike is set up for long distance cruising in often remote areas and I wanted low
mounted auxiliary lights to light up debris, potholes, etc. in the area just ahead of the
bike and the fork reflectors catch some of that light which can be a bit annoying so if
I can get rid of them without a penalty, I'd like to do so. Otherwise they work well.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 PM
ubersoldate
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
kevin_s
Cruiser

I just installed a Memphis Shades Bat wing on my wide glide,I had the already mentioned air off the front of the tank issue.I put my fork bag back on and i;ll report back tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:24 PM
SSG Tyr
Stage I

Originally Posted by ubersoldate
What brand of fairing is that and size of the windshield on it?

Old 09-07-2014, 04:37 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by monster715
^^^^ Sqiuds bike is sick

HD 1/4 fairing
As is yours James.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Memphis Shades.

Attachment 566057

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 PM
usmc02127
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Post your pics of Dyna's with fairings on them