Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014 | 07:42 AM
Wolf3020
Intermediate

I've got a 2001 FXDX that Im looking to convert to chain drive.
Looking at going for this rear sprocket in 60 teethhttp://www.bungking.com/accessories/late-model-dyna-parts/stunt-sprocket-60-and-65-tooth.html

Can anyone help me out with where and which front sprocket to get, will I need a chain slider and what spacers will I need.
Ive also heard of chains that don't need to be lubed? X-Ring chain?
Somebody who has done tis conversion on instagram said that the offset for the front sprocket was .750 and i needed a .250 spacer for the rear sprocket? Does this sound correct?
Thanks in advance for any help or pointers, cheers.

Old 07-08-2014 | 05:42 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Chains are easy. The newer sealed ones don't need near the lube & don't get messy. 15 minutes to clean & lube, max.

A chain can be fixed on the side of the road. Belt? Not so much. Plus, you can change a chain w/o pulling the primary, clutch, etc. Dunno about y'all, but yanking all that off & reinstalling it ain't my idea of a good time.

If/when the belt on my Super Glide lets go, it'll be replaced with a chain.

Old 09-12-2014 | 11:05 PM
Nomadhalo
Stage I
Thumbs up

Hey Wolf, Did you ever find out the offset needed to do the chain conversion? was the .75/.25 correct? if so do you think i can go .5/0? what do you think? no one at my local harley shop seems to know what the offset is. the response i keep getting is "why on earth would you do that?" except for the "old man", he gets what im trying to accomplish, but he doesnt know the offsets off the top of his head, Harley doesnt publish this kinda thing in any service manual and im trying to avoid downtime or i would just pull it apart and measure.

opinions? anyone got the info?

thanks in advance...

ps. and no, i dont care what any ya'lls opinion of chain vs belt is... your not gonna convince me that one is better than the other... im doing this because i want to be different, i want ease of replacement/repair and because the tensile strength of a chain is exponentially more than a belt...

Originally Posted by Wolf3020
I've got a 2001 FXDX that Im looking to convert to chain drive.
Looking at going for this rear sprocket in 60 teethhttp://www.bungking.com/accessories/late-model-dyna-parts/stunt-sprocket-60-and-65-tooth.html

Can anyone help me out with where and which front sprocket to get, will I need a chain slider and what spacers will I need.
Ive also heard of chains that don't need to be lubed? X-Ring chain?
Somebody who has done tis conversion on instagram said that the offset for the front sprocket was .750 and i needed a .250 spacer for the rear sprocket? Does this sound correct?
Thanks in advance for any help or pointers, cheers.

Old 11-05-2014 | 02:40 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WinkMoto
Got my second Chain conversion from Zippers yesterday. I had put one on my FXR and just got one for my FXDX as well. My belt and pulleys were trashed from debris and my many off road adventures. Grooved, cut, and worn down. The price to go chain was better and i just prefer to be able to fix a broken chain on the side of the road instead of a belt. And i have seen multiple break in many different situations.

Called them like usual, asked the questions i needed, they told me every part i needed and what the kit came with and it showed up at my door the next day.
I ordered a kit from Zippers yesterday, and it should be here tomorrow. I will measure the rear sprocket spacer, bolt lengths and post it up.

I am almost 100% sure the front sprocket will be a .500 offset. I will measure when I recieve it all. 2000 FXDX 5 speed,

I was told by another fella that he used a .500 offset front sprocket, with a 3/8 dished rear sprocket and a .010 rear spacer to get a perfect alignment confirmed by laser. However my Zippers kit is coming with a flat rear sprocket so I am sure the spacer they send will be around 3/8 thick. 23/51 tooth, oh so slightly geared lower than my stock pulleys.

If someone can find the 3/8 dished rear sprockets please post a link. I cant seem to find them. I would think that if a .500 offset front worked absolutely perfect with a 3/8 dished rear sprocket and a .010 shim that you could just use the 3/8 dished rear without a shim at all.

Last edited by parts eeter; 11-05-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2016 | 09:28 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain

Please **** of all you lugging ****** with you belt ****..

Noone gives a **** if you can get 100k out of your belt..

Old 08-13-2016 | 11:02 AM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Default Wtf?????????????????

Originally Posted by Nikolaiownz
Please **** of all you lugging ****** with you belt ****..

Noone gives a **** if you can get 100k out of your belt..
Nice pic of a belt drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you sittin in one of those "special" coffee shops over there just doin a little rambo internet time?

Last edited by 1stfxdwg; 08-13-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2016 | 10:03 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

He drags this post back from the dead to call people a *****? I think he's confused... nice belt drive, *****.

Old 10-30-2016 | 12:29 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

I'm considering this just for the price. I want to change up my gearing but just the rear pulley alone is going to cost me about $450. If I can do a chain conversion that's going to cost around the same as just a rear pulley but includes the front sprocket too, and I can get the exact gearing I want, then it seems like a good option to me. I've had 11 bikes before my Harley and non of them had belts so I have no issue or concerns about chains and was never bothered by ( or even noticed ) chain noise.

Old 10-30-2016 | 09:05 PM
Christoforos Pilitsis
6th Gear

Dyna chain conversion 91-2005 Vulcanworks.net 255.60....

Old 11-04-2016 | 06:50 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by Christoforos Pilitsis
Dyna chain conversion 91-2005 Vulcanworks.net 255.60....
Duuuuuuuuuuude! Cheapest kit I've EVER seen for a DYNA. THANKS!

Quick Reply: Chain conversion kit